Woodlice & Venus 60 mm macro

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Henk Wallays

Woodlice & Venus 60 mm macro

Post by Henk Wallays »

Have recently acquired the Venus 60 mm macro lense and now slowly experimenting with it. the actual idea is to photographically document the evolution of eggs & larval salamanders once the breeding season starts. In the meantime I am trying to get some practice with the lens 'in the field' ...

Here's a single shot frontal shot of Porcelio scaber, one of our more common woodlice species overhere ( also used the Venus twinflash for this shot). Handheld at 800 ISO.

Now still need to find a way to make the light slightly more softer ;-)

ImagePorcellio scaber by Henk Wallays
[EditAdminCR - the link down a few posts, works]
[EditAdminRJL: replaced link and fixed [img] tags during phpBB3 conversion
Last edited by Henk Wallays on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Picaflor

Post by Picaflor »

I think the light is not so bad. Can you install a diffusor on your flash?

A bit more field deeph (close more the lens) can be....

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good, and I am glad to see the Venus macro put to good use. I had read elsewhere here that the twin flash was underpowered, but clearly it is adequate for close-up work.
I suppose the sort of diffuser to use would be a coupe small 'bell' shaped diffusers on the flash heads. You can find similar ones around used for twin flashes that attach to the camera lens. But I too think your diffusion is pretty good as it is.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Henk Wallays

Post by Henk Wallays »

Thanks for the remarks. I see that my image is no longer displaying too (bizarre) but can apparently not re-edit the thread also.

Anyway, indeed I used the Venus twinflash and as low budget diffuser I added white baking paper in front of both lenses ;-) ...

I continue to experiment further ( offcourse ...). I actually bought the lense to document the development in amphibian eggs & larvae ( salamanders) ... so as the spring & breeding time comes , I want to be 'ready' ;-)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Henk Wallays wrote:I see that my image is no longer displaying too (bizarre) but can apparently not re-edit the thread also.
When logged in, you should see an "edit" button at the upper right corner of your posts. Normal users do not have permission to delete a post after it has been replied to, but you can always edit your own posts.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There's something odd with the link to Flickr.
https://flic.kr/p/QQsk3v
does at least show the picture, though I can't get it to display here.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

At this moment, the image URL in Henk's post goes to
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/492/32053 ... 8093_b.jpg .

But by going to https://flic.kr/p/QQsk3v , zooming the image, and asking my browser to Inspect Element, I see a different URL:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/492/32053 ... b0ed_b.jpg .

That second URL does display properly here as an image:

Other than this I know nothing, because I'm clueless about how Flickr generates its URLs.

--Rik

Henk Wallays

Post by Henk Wallays »

Thanks for the fine help. Hope you don't xpect me to see how Flickr functions ;-) I guess there may be more difficult ways to create a link but possibly quite some more to do it easier too...

Anyway thanks for adding the picture again and indeed now I see the edit button (again) at the time I was replying it din't appear (or I was not fully awake ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic