Long time lurker advice please

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

reggyp

Long time lurker advice please

Post by reggyp »

Hi there,
I have been a long time lurker of this site i come here every now and again and see the tremendous images produced. I originally got into macro using a 400D and reversing lenses which worked very well but i have now collected a bit of new gear and i would like help moving in the right direction.

So i now own a 6d and an MP E65 (amazing lens) along with 3 x yongnuo flashes and triggers and a flash arm to hold to the flash to the camera.

I want to get into stacking images of small creatures but i am finding it is actually extremely expensive, I have looked at stackshot which seems to be the main system used by a lot of people on here whilst i can afford the beginner stackshot i wondered if there were alternatives to this which do the same, work similar and give similar results.

Next up i have been trying to find some info on specimens, where to get them how to catch them and how to get them ready for taking images (live). I really don't fancy catching and killing the little creatures just to take a picture of them and throw them away but i wonder if there is a place that "deals" in insects where i can buy them without them being inside a resin block or similar.

Alternatively when i do come across an insect which has died i want to be able to collect it, clean it and keep it in a good condition to take pictures during the winter months where can i find info on this or do you have any tips ?

apologies for the long post and i have a ton more questions to ask but if you can spend a few minutes helping out that would be very much appreciated.

Charles Krebs

Re: Long time lurker advice please

Post by Charles Krebs »

"I want to get into stacking images of small creatures but i am finding it is actually extremely expensive, I have looked at stackshot which seems to be the main system used by a lot of people on here whilst i can afford the beginner stackshot i wondered if there were alternatives to this which do the same, work similar and give similar results."

An automated rail like the StackShot is certainly a wonderful piece of equipment, but far from necessary. What is needed is the ability to move either the camera/optics or the subject in a linear manner in very fine increments. There are many ways this cam be accomplished manually. Unless you are into serious "production" or tend to regularly make large stacks (say over 100-150 images) an automated rail is not really a necessity.

You can find many old microscopes where the focus mechanism can be "salvagesd". Or even complete microscope focus components like the popular Olympus BHMJ focus block. Also do an Ebay search for "linear stage". (A popular one is the Newport 423 but there are many suitable ones). While not exactly "cheap" these options are very precise and with a little patience and searching can be set up for maybe about 1/3 the price of a StackShot system.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

For restoring dead insects so they do not look so dead, see http://extreme-macro.co.uk/restoring-insects/
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

There are several stacking programs out there, most in support of PC platforms, but my vote would be to get one of the main ones and try it as a free trial. This would at least teach you the methods of stacking, and then you can get a dedicated program when ready. I think there are free ones, but these have fewer features.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic