Isn't he the cutist little thing - redone

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

Isn't he the cutist little thing - redone

Post by JoanYoung »

I think I have found how to do it folks!!
:D A leopard gecko

Last edited by JoanYoung on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Great image Joan and the second a great comparison shot showing the size of the gecko in relation to your hand. Would like to have seen the first image in an 800 pixel size though to show the details of the gecko more clearly but this is fine, you did good! A very nice first post on the forums. :smt023

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for the kind words Ken. It would not let me download the pic at 800 as it was 356kb. But I will play around with sizing so that I can get it right for this forum. :D
Joan Young

salden

Post by salden »

Very nice images.

What software are you using to process your images? If you resize to 800 on the longest size and set your resolution to 72 that will bring the size down a bit. You can also adjust your file size by setting your compression level.
Sue Alden

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for the kind words Sue. I am using Corel Photo Paint, but it is not the easiest to use. I did not see anywhere where you can set the compression but will have a look again. I did try re-sample, but that is not working either. Oh well!! Back to the drawing board. :) If all else fails, I will use the existing one and just sharpen it a little although I hate doing that. And if THAT fails, get Photoshop. LOL!!
Joan Young

salden

Post by salden »

JoanYoung wrote:Thanks for the kind words Sue. I am using Corel Photo Paint, but it is not the easiest to use. I did not see anywhere where you can set the compression but will have a look again. I did try re-sample, but that is not working either. Oh well!! Back to the drawing board. :) If all else fails, I will use the existing one and just sharpen it a little although I hate doing that. And if THAT fails, get Photoshop. LOL!!
Get Photoshop...you will not regret it. :D

In Corel.. do a "save as". You should see a button at the bottom that says "Options". Click on that. You will see the compression slider to adjust your file size.

BTW - you are in the one location I would love to visit. Maybe one day.
Sue Alden

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

I am such a dummy!!! LOL!! I have actually seen this Sue but yesterday in my mad scrabble to get this posted, it went clean out of my mind. You are a star. Thanks very much, I will redo this when I get home. If it does not work, I will get Photoshop, everyone else seems to use it. Photo Paint came with Corel Draw so I have been using it.
Joan Young

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

A great start to the forum, Joan - and yes, you're certainly in a good location for interesting macro shots (have also lived / worked in W / E Africa)

Re software for re-sizing / compression etc (but not content creation / modification) - PS may sit on the top of the pile for many ppl, but it's not cheap - especially if you're wanting to use a (fairly) limited range of (its)options.

You might like to checkout an excellent piece of freeware which'll do what you want - http://www.irfanview.com/.

I've found it a useful tool to have in the toolbox - especially for those times when the great PS throws a wobbly :)

pp

edit
Whilst I've never used Photo Paint, I'd be v. surprised if it doesn't have the necessary features (especially the later releases) - it may well be just a case of familiarity / getting used to it?
Last edited by puzzledpaul on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Welcome to the forum Joan :D .

What unusual eyes your Leopard Gecko has - and beautiful skin markings and texture too. Pic2 is very helpful in showing scale and he/she seems quite relaxed in your hand.

So how long have you had your gecko :?:

Bruce

salden

Post by salden »

JoanYoung wrote:I am such a dummy!!! LOL!! I have actually seen this Sue but yesterday in my mad scrabble to get this posted, it went clean out of my mind. You are a star. Thanks very much, I will redo this when I get home. If it does not work, I will get Photoshop, everyone else seems to use it. Photo Paint came with Corel Draw so I have been using it.
There is nothing wrong with Corel Photoshop. Prior to PS, I used PSP for all of my image work. I happen to get PS 5 for a faily cheap price, so I started playing and never went back to PSP. Right now, I am working towards my Masters in Photography and one of my classes this semester is Photoshop for Photographers, hence I now own PS CS3. There is so much one can do with PS, it is a mazing, but as Paul mentioned, it is expensive (even with my student discount) and unless you plan on using the full range of what PS offers, Corel Photoshop will be just fine.
Sue Alden

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

I am just sorry that my first pic is not as sharp as it should be, but I am hoping to fix that tonight and will re-post it.

Sue:
BTW - you are in the one location I would love to visit. Maybe one day.
This is a wonderful country in many respects and has great photo opportunities, so if you ever get the chance, do visit. You will love our game parks.

Bruce:
So how long have you had your gecko
Thanks for the welcome Bruce. I wish it was mine!! LOL!! It belongs to a young girl who was just to thrilled that I wanted to take photographs of her pets. She also had a snake which I took some shots of.

Puzzledpaul:
have also lived / worked in W / E Africa
Thanks for your kind words. What kind of work did you do here? Africa is a might poor country as a whole, but I love South Africa and although I have traveled quite a bit, enjoy coming home to our sunshine (when it is not raining like now that is...LOL!!) Thanks for the link, if I do not come right with Photopaint tonight, I will go and check out Invranview.
Joan Young

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< What kind of work ... >>
Mech / prodn eng. - approx. 4 yrs total, mid/end 70s, Zambia / Nigeria :)

Sue mentioned inexpensive older versions of PShop - if such are available, go for 5.5 (what I use) upwards ... apart from other features, the .jpg dialog tells you what the final compressed file size is (will be) before you commit ... 5.0 doesn't.

pp

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Puzzledpaul
4 yrs total, mid/end 70s, Zambia / Nigeria
I am sure you will find it very different now. I spent a lot of time in Zimbabwe (which I prefered to Zambia), Namibia and Botswana. Great areas for photography.
I am not sure which version we have here of PS? But I will check it out if I do not come right a bit later when I go home and try Photopaint again. Sue kindly reminded me of how to do the conversion.

Thanks pp
Joan Young

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Photoshop Elements 5 does all I need, and instead of the fancy version with the box and manual (I bought Scott Kelby's book instead) I got a genuine new disk in a plastic wallet complete with key for £24 off EBAY as against £60 for the boxed version.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADOBE-PHOTOSHOP-E ... dZViewItem

Or you can get the latest Elements 6 for around £42 ($85) if you are in the US.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADOBE-PHOTOSHOP-E ... dZViewItem

I find Photoshop is overkill and has far more facilities than most photographers will ever need or use, and Elements has everything I need.

Plus Adobe brings out a new version of both Photoshop and Elements almost every year and very soon stops supporting the old. So if you buy a new camera you often cannot get the new plug-in RAW converter for an older version of the very expensive Photoshop you bought a year or two ago.

Can anybody explain this. One firm is quoting £32 for a Photoshop CS3 disk:-

http://www.exisoftware.co.uk/adobe-phot ... Egod4RrKYg

Whereas another quotes £464 for the boxed version:-

http://www.ecostsoftware.com/uk/shop/pc ... p?pid=3238

DaveW

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I love lizards, especially leopard Geckos. They are so cute and friendly. A very nice first post Joan. Welcome to the macro wide world.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic