Sticky feet on mite at zoo

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tpe

Sticky feet on mite at zoo

Post by tpe »

These mites were living with the millipedes at our local zoo. The vivarium was infested with them, and there were probably at least 100 on each of the millipedes it housed. I could not tell if they were parasitic, as the millipedes looked in good health and none of the mites looked to actually be eating them. This mite had climbed up the side of the tank allowing a through glass shot. From this odd view it looks like the mite has sticky pads on its feet I was wondering if this is common for mites that live on hosts to help them adhere, and then possibly if indicated that it is some kind of obligate parasite or commensal organism, or if all mites are like that?

MarkSturtevant

Maybe harmless?

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Not sure, but if the millipedes are ok, then maybe its just one of those commensal relatoinships. A lot of large arthropods have harmless mites which feed on their cuticular wax and secretions from various orifices. An example that comes to mind are the Madagascar hissing roaches which I have seen to always have them. I would keep an eye on them, though.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic