Jumping spider on intense orange flower

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Jumping spider on intense orange flower

Post by rjlittlefield »

I haven't had time lately to do much photography, but I couldn't resist this "arm's length macro" grab shot.

The big splotch of color on the spider's back does a good job of matching the color of these flowers. I have no idea whether that's significant somehow.

--Rik

Technical: Canon A710 IS, macro mode, auto everything (1/100 sec, f/4). Cropped to about 70% of original frame width.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

These jumping spiders are amazing looking creatures. Are the green bits behind the pedipalps associated with the fangs Rik?

Nice capture attesting to the value of having a convenient compact at the ready.

Bruce :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Colorful shot there Rik. Jumping spiders in my area seem to be quite shy and tend to duck behind something when I try to get a shot of them. The orange spot on its back, matching the color of the flower, does make one wonder, as you noted. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Bruce Williams wrote:Are the green bits behind the pedipalps associated with the fangs Rik?
They sure are. See this old post for more detail on the association.

Ken, the jumpers around here range from peek-a-boo to put-up-your-dukes. This little fellow was kind of in the middle. He stayed put for a while, then scurried under the flower, then scurried back out again when I put a finger under the flower with him. This particular shot was taken after all that.

--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

We have more of the "put up your dukes" jumping spiders :lol: . Nice capture Rik
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

The colors and the composition are excellent Rik. Makes the whole picture very striking IMO.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic