Help me spend money on a 20X objective and camera mount!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Examples - which may or may not be exactly right for you but will give you the idea - ebay items

A Raynox on tubes,
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 195#143195
but
start withyour 180 to see what happens, and
don't use a conical objective adapter. Flat ones are easier/better usually.
Chris R

Chris S.
Site Admin

Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up

Post by Chris S. »

Donkom,

I hope you won't mind that I moved your thread from the beginners' micro forum, where it probably didn't belong, to Technical and Studio Photography, where it appeares to fit much better.You sir, do not seem to be a beginner,

With respect,

Chris S.
Admin team

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The ojective adapter I linked to, is one which should take a Mitty .
The thread is 26 x 36tpi as listed as I said, in the FAQs
FAQ: Threads we use
Which is http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11710 this one.

You can use a reversed filter cap to hold a ringflash, with tubes.
Chris R

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I thought that might need a doodle. I use Word which is crude but quick; I hope it conveys what I mean.

You can stick the filter cap or M42 cap (yellow)flat back part with double sided tape, but I was lucky and found mine was only about 0.2mm thick, so I made the hole small enough for the objective to hold it and leave enough thread to screw into the adapter (blue).

I use a 52mm Nikon K tube - but Chinese copies have started to appear on ebay.

(There are digiscoping adapters which will grip a Mitty, but they're a bit long)

Chris R

donkom

Post by donkom »

Thanks very much for all the feedback, Chris.

I'm totally a beginner when it comes to microscope objectives, though my background knowledge in the general topic has some substance. Wherever the post should belong, I'm glad it's there. :)

I've got all the parts I need, I think, to make a suitable camera mounted objective. This includes winning an eBay auction for the Mitutoyo 20X APO for $700 for which I was pretty excited about.

For holding the ring flash, I purchased a Canon MLA-DC1 Macrolite Adapter, which is designed for the G1X but fits exactly what I need. It has the proper clip for the ring flash, attached to a smaller tube. Depending on how it all comes together I may need to cut it's height down, and glue/weld it to the thread adapter that the objective screws into. It should give me the light that I'm after - but I'll only know once I put all the parts together.

Looking forward to this as a winter project!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You're welcome. Be ready to diffuse the light more than you expect, when you're at 20x :).
We look forward to the results, for sure.
Chris R

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Hi Don.
Welcome to the group.
I have your poster from last year.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks for sharing these nice pics.

donkom

Post by donkom »

Thanks for the welcome, Sumguy01!

My snowflake poster was a huge undertaking, and I'm glad you enjoy and appreciate my efforts. I have some ideas to take it further with a limited edition 8x10 "1:1 lifesize" print using contact prints from laser-engrave negatives for insane resolution... just need to find the time to explore the idea. :)

ChrisR, with snowflakes I find that somewhat of a direct light is useful to create "glare", so long as the light can actually hit the subject! At this working distance that might be a bit of a challenge... I'll have to test the waters!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic