Software - Focus projects 3 professional

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Richard_M

Software - Focus projects 3 professional

Post by Richard_M »

Has anyone here had any experience with Focus Projects 3 Professional?

For the current $25USD until 5th December (if you subscribe to their newsletter) it appears to be good value.

https://www.projects-software.com/focus

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

I managed to get the software for free

There was an option to go via a shareware site
After the software is downloaded you need to login to the authors site to receive a registration code.

I'll give it a try over the weekend

--AdminCS edited

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Richard,

Putting on my admin hat, I edited your post slightly to make the shareware link unclickable, while preserving it for discussion. If the site is questionable--and it looks to be--we don't want to be giving it free publicity. (If anyone wishes to see view the site, copy the link and replace the word "dot" with the obvious punctuation mark.)

Since Focus Projects 3 Professional's publisher appears to offer a free trial, why would it be necessary to deal with a shareware site? It's pretty dubious that the shareware site could provide a legitimate software key for free. I'd be suspicious of a fraudulent software key, malware, misuse of contact information, or all of the above.

This said, I've not heard of this product, and will be interested to hear your review. I'd suggest, though, that you obtain a trial version from the publisher.

--Chris

--edited typo
Last edited by Chris S. on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

Thanks Chris,

I've sent an email off to the software company Franzis with the link, and asking them what the difference, if any, by going through the shareware site, and purchasing direct. Prior to sending the email I did receive the activation codes from Franzis, for the shareware version.

I'm currently using Franzis Denoise package and find it for my style of photography better than Macphun Denoise, and Topaz Denoise. I also own DXO Optics Pro, but haven't compared the results to their noise reduction software as its needs to be done using the RAW file, but doesn't support Fuji X-Trans files.

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

An update...

When I got home I went to the Franzis website and downloaded the trial version of Focus Projects 3 Pro, and when it started it asked for a serial number to activate the software, or use for 30days. I copy and pasted the serial number sent to me by Frazis after I had logged into the Franzis site via the shareware one and the software activated fine.

Now to have a play...

https://www.projects-software.com

By the way, I have no association with this software company or the company providing the shareware link. I'm a user always looking for something new to help improve my photography.

johan

Post by johan »

Richard_M wrote:I'm currently using Franzis Denoise package and find it for my style of photography better than Macphun Denoise, and Topaz Denoise. I also own DXO Optics Pro, but haven't compared the results to their noise reduction software as its needs to be done using the RAW file, but doesn't support Fuji X-Trans files.
Focus Projects Professional is not an anti-noise application, it's just a very basic stacking software. I downloaded it for free a few months ago. From the GUI it offers batch processing but I couldn't see anything resembling retouching or such things as dmap/pmax options.

Do beware, part of the process of getting this software was giving in your email address, and boy do they spam you with more software offer mails as a result :(
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

johan wrote:
Richard_M wrote:I'm currently using Franzis Denoise package and find it for my style of photography better than Macphun Denoise, and Topaz Denoise. I also own DXO Optics Pro, but haven't compared the results to their noise reduction software as its needs to be done using the RAW file, but doesn't support Fuji X-Trans files.
Focus Projects Professional is not an anti-noise application, it's just a very basic stacking software. I downloaded it for free a few months ago. From the GUI it offers batch processing but I couldn't see anything resembling retouching or such things as dmap/pmax options.

Do beware, part of the process of getting this software was giving in your email address, and boy do they spam you with more software offer mails as a result :(
There are a number of packages they offer, one of which is a Denoise package which I tend to use on my images. Some of their software appears to be expensive unless you can get them via a special deal

I tried a quick edit, a 9 image focus stack. There are quite a number of options for stacking process, I'll take a screen shot when next I have a play. Like you, I haven't found any retouching options other than the ability to tweak each image in the stack. One issue is, I exported the file as 8, 16, and 32 bit TIFF, and Lightroom couldn't read them, it could however import the PNG export. Not sure what is the go there, might have to read the manual.

The program is quick, it processed the 9 images very quickly, and the result although not perfect is not bad for a quick stack.

For the price, I think it'll be handy. I used a Gmail account, so they can spam all they want, I usually block the emails anyway.
Last edited by Richard_M on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

A couple of screen captures

#1 The import screen with a few options

#2 Various algorithims, which when each is selected the change is vey quick

There are a number of selection buttons still in german, and some of the spelling is not 100%

At this stage it won't replace my usual workflow, but for someone starting out, the software works, and with a bit of playing it may work very well.

We're heading into summer downunder, so it'll be 4~5 months before I'm out chasing the fungi again, and getting back into focus stacking on a regular basis.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Software - Focus projects 3 professional

Post by rjlittlefield »

Richard_M wrote:For the current $25USD until 5th December (if you subscribe to their newsletter) it appears to be good value.

I can't seem to get my eye on the $25 option. Can you tell me in more detail how to access that?
The current offering is Focus Projects 3 Professional, which may include some features that were not present in the earlier Focus Projects Professional (no "3"). The manual at http://www.projects-software.com/wp-con ... _EN-UK.pdf describes something called "area retouching" in section 3.4 (page 12 of 20).

I have not tried this software yet so all I know is what I've read in the manual.

--Rik

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Richard_M wrote:For the current $25USD until 5th December (if you subscribe to their newsletter) it appears to be good value.

I can't seem to get my eye on the $25 option. Can you tell me in more detail how to access that?

--Rik
If this link doesn't work let me know and I'll forward you on the offer via email

http://www.projects-software.com/focus- ... 562056_120

johan

Post by johan »

rjlittlefield wrote:The current offering is Focus Projects 3 Professional, which may include some features that were not present in the earlier Focus Projects Professional (no "3").
Yes, to be fair my version isn't 3 Professional, it's the version without the 3
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Richard_M

Post by Richard_M »

After some playing, I can now export to TIFF okay and the files are fine.

For a quick stack I find the program quite good.

This is a 41 image stack; software left at the defaults, basically select files, let the software render the stack and then save the final image to 16bit TIFF. Possibly around 5mins in total.

Tweaked in LR and exported to JPEG

Sure it's not perfect, and the image is not complex with a lot of fine detail, but for a quick edit and display on social media it's not too bad IMO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic