Stackshot trouble after Linux distribution change

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pittendrigh

Stackshot trouble after Linux distribution change

Post by pittendrigh »

I had a Mint Mate Linux system working like clockwork for focus stacking with entangle and Stackshot and ZereneStacker.

But Mint Mate didn't support the Gnome color-manager for fine tuning monitor colors so I wiped my OS partition and installed Mint Cinnamon, which seems much the same but I have the color manager application to fight with, plus a ColorHug2 monitor monitoring device I haven't yet doped out.

I have a more serious problem to wade through first. Entangle works fine on the new system. ZereneStacker-Pro works the StackShot rail back and forth and all controls seem to work properly. And when I click the "Shutter" button on the Zerene GUI the camera shoots, strobe lights and all.

But it isn't saving a file down through the USB cable connected to my hard drive. When I click the Entangle GUI I get an image saved on my hard drive.

When I click "Shutter" in Zerene the camera fires, strobes and all, but no image is saved. Not on my hard drive anyway, and not on the memory card either (which I don't want anyway).

Any ideas? I'll continue to fight with it.

pittendrigh

Hmmm. Seems to be working now.

Post by pittendrigh »

Hmmm. Seems to be working now.
With no apparent why.

Sorry for the hassle. I'll keep at it for few days.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I expect you know this already, but just to make sure the bases are covered...

It sounds like there is some glitch with Entangle. Zerene Stacker never gets involved in camera connections, other than telling the StackShot (or in rare cases some other piece of software) to tell the camera to take a picture. After that, it's all about the camera's connection to whatever other piece of software is connected to camera by USB.

If the camera was ignoring the command to take a picture, then I would worry about funny camera features like Canon's trick of ignoring remote shutter requests if the camera is tethered and not displaying status on its own LCD panel. But since your camera was apparently taking pictures OK, that issue doesn't apply.

Unfortunately I'm quite naive about Entangle, so I can't suggest what might have gone wrong there.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic