Nikon Small World - macro not allowed!?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Nikon Small World - macro not allowed!?

Post by Beatsy »

Just got around to scanning the Nikon Small World images. Lots of names I recognise from this forum - well done all.

I intend to have a go next year and noticed that the rules (here https://nikonsmallworld.magnet.fsu.edu/ ... rld/rules/) explicitly state that "macro photography is not permitted". Gosh.

So does an objective on a tube lens fitted direct to a camera count as macro?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

IIRC the part
"Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable."
excluded a great image by Yousef Alhabshi. He used a JML21mm on bellows.
If he'd screwed a Canon /Olympus 20mm macro lens onto a microscope, - who knows?
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I can't find the post, but Rik (?) asked and NSW responded that our macro setups with microscope objectives can be thought as DIY microscopes and are allowed (in fact there are some winning images likely taken with this kind of rigs). Maybe Yousef said taken with a macro lens or something similar.

For example, for me your oblique diatoms at 50X are microscope images without any doubt. Our macro/micro fora division may be practical but, like almost all divisions, at the borders is arbitrary.
Leeuwenhoek microscopes were simple lenses with a focusing device, should them be considered macro? :wink:
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:I can't find the post, but Rik (?) asked and NSW responded that our macro setups with microscope objectives can be thought as DIY microscopes and are allowed (in fact there are some winning images likely taken with this kind of rigs).
That was Chris S. I don't have a link to the post either, but my memory matches Pau's. If I were planning to apply, I would specify "DIY microscope" and name the objective that was used.

--Rik

Saul

Post by Saul »

rjlittlefield wrote:...That was Chris S. I don't have a link to the post either, but my memory matches Pau's.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=28850
Saul
μ-stuff

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Good news. I thought there was a post about this but failed to find it using search. Thanks for digging it out Rik. Custom built microscope it is :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic