What kind of microscope lenses do i need?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

edagter

What kind of microscope lenses do i need?

Post by edagter »

Hi, I'm new at the forum. My micrography so far was with my Nikon SMZ 1000 with a coolpix 995 on the C port. The microscope has a hi-rez 1x lens and enlargements go up to 80x. The results are okay but I want to do better and want to stack also.

I bought a automated stand with a Stackshot and a Nikon PB6 bellows. Now I want to buy two microscope lenses to be able to make entlargment up to 100x.

What are the lenses I need to do the job for a good to high quality picture?

The cameras I have are a Nikon D800 and a D500, and I'm photographing micro minerals mainly. Look at my site http://www.pbase.com/edagter/slag_minerals_from_greece

Thank you in advance.
Ed Agter
The Netherlands

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Welcome to the group!
I want to buy two microscope lenses to be able to make enlargement up to 100x.
We can certainly make suggestions, but first you need to clarify what you meant by "enlargement". Perhaps the best way to provide us with more information would be to let us know the size range of the subjects that will "fill the camera frame" horizontally, left to right.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

First some clarifications about magnification:
- when you say 80X with your stereomicroscope likely you refer to to nominal magnification of the instrument, ie the visual magnification, for example
1X objective * 10X eyepiece * 8X zoom setting =80X
If I understand well you just need a bit higher magnification, equivalent to 100X vision at the microscope, am I right?

- When we speak about photography we usually refer to magnification on sensor which is much smaller (you further magnify it when viewing the image at the monitor).
The equivalence is not exact but a first approach could be around 3-4 folds smaller for full frame cameras and about 5-6.25 folds smaller for APSC, so in principle you will do with 4x, 10X and 20X objectives

You can use finite corrected objectives directly on bellows. In this case the best option are Nikon CF series, or you can go for newer infinite corrected objectives coupled with the adequate tube lens.

There are many aspects to take in consideration like objective correction and working distance, too long for a single answer. First take a look to:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=12147
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Charles was posting simultaneously. Yes, the easier way is to measure the subject size
Pau

edagter

Post by edagter »

Pau wrote:First some clarifications about magnification:
- when you say 80X with your stereomicroscope likely you refer to to nominal magnification of the instrument, ie the visual magnification, for example
1X objective * 10X eyepiece * 8X zoom setting =80X
If I understand well you just need a bit higher magnification, equivalent to 100X vision at the microscope, am I right?

- When we speak about photography we usually refer to magnification on sensor which is much smaller (you further magnify it when viewing the image at the monitor).
The equivalence is not exact but a first approach could be around 3-4 folds smaller for full frame cameras and about 5-6.25 folds smaller for APSC, so in principle you will do with 4x, 10X and 20X objectives

You can use finite corrected objectives directly on bellows. In this case the best option are Nikon CF series, or you can go for newer infinite corrected objectives coupled with the adequate tube lens.

There are many aspects to take in consideration like objective correction and working distance, too long for a single answer. First take a look to:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=12147

Yes you are richt 1X objective * 10X eyepiece * 8X zoom setting =80X
That is what I have on my microscope.

I want to be able to have that kind of "field of view"
My minerals are very small maby 0.01 of a mm to 1 mm max.

Ed Agter
Ed Agter
The Netherlands

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic