Did a little microscopy outreach yesterday

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tom Jones

Did a little microscopy outreach yesterday

Post by Tom Jones »

We had STEM outreach demonstrations yesterday at San Bernardino Valley College here in Southern California. About 500 middle and high school kids come through in three hours. Lots of different schools and professions represented.

I had several things for them to look at under five BH-2's. A slice of meteorite probably from Vesta, under POL, a Kemp 25 form diatom arrangement, a W.H. Youdale slide of a body louse collected in 1917 in the trenches in France during WWI, breast cancer cells in pleural fluid from my days in a clinical lab, and mitosis in onion root. Also I had an SZH stereo set up with a plankton net collection from a local lake in dark field. Lots of things swimming in 3D. I had the 4k monitor was looping some of my 4k microscopy video.

Quick lessons (15 seconds) in cell phone photography through the scopes met with good success, with lots of souvenir photos to take home and post to social media (I hope!). Quite a bit of work, but a fine time was had by all! More to come the week after next from a bigger program.

Tom

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Quite a bit of work, but a fine time was had by all!
I think that is a very fine thing you are doing!
Those Olympus BH-2's look brand new! :)
Zeiss Standard WL & Wild M8
Olympus E-p2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JH

Post by JH »

:D Good idea!
Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic