Digital Microscope for iPhone

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ataylor81

Post by ataylor81 »

I have just purchased a Apple iPhone adapter that clips onto my phone and turns it into a digital microscope! I needed something which was portable and I could carry with me in the field to capture macro shots.

I purchased it from a website called http://proscopedigital.com/.
The quality is fantastic, better than what I expected.

:D

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Welcome to the forum, Andrew! :D

Can you tell us more about the item, and better yet, show us some of your results?

--Chris S.

ataylor81

Post by ataylor81 »

Hi Chris, I purchased the Microscope Kit for an iPhone 6. Here is the product link: http://proscopedigital.com/product/digi ... ne-6-plus/ Note: The site covers many microscopes for phone and tablet types.

I was looking for something which was portable, light to carry and could capture reasonable macro images in the field. This particular unit provides digital zoom magnification 20x to 80x which covers my needs. I thought the cost was quite reasonable at $149 US.

It comes in the form of a kit which has a sleeve that my phone sits in then the microscope snaps on. It sits quite neat actually.

There is also an app that you can download from the apple store. I haven't purchased or tested that function out yet.

I will post some images in this thread on my next field trip which shouldn't be too long away.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Digital Microscope for iPhone

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks for the added information, Andrew.
ataylor81 wrote:This particular unit provides digital zoom magnification 20x to 80x. . .
I saw this at the company's Website, and wonder what, exactly, is meant in this case. I doubt the spec refers to "magnification on sensor." The sensor on the iPhone 6 is just under 5mm wide. So 20x to 80x magnification on sensor would give frame-filling views of subjects between 250 microns and 62.5 microns.

More likely they mean "magnification on screen." The iPhone 6's screen is about 140mm wide. So 20x-80x would give a subject field of 7mm to 1.75mm. This seems more reasonable, and matches much of what I see in a brief review of the vendor's gallery. But I wish they would spell these things out--something else entirely might be the case. If you could photograph a ruler, it might provide insight.

Looking forward to your images! :D And enjoy your field trip.

--Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic