Now That is WIDE!!!!

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Now That is WIDE!!!!

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I haven't been doing a lot of macro photography lately, as I am hosting a national meeting next week at work (don't ever let yourself get shamed into doing that!) which is keeping me pretty busy, and in what little time I have, I am playing around with a new lens, a Sigma 12-24mm....Yep, you read it right, 12mm at the wide end. And it is a full frame lens! I bought this because I am hoping to be able to do some photography in some ruins early next year and I want something ultra wide that will fit on my full frame dslr. There's nothing wider than this one except fisheyes! And I've always been sort of intrigued by ultrawide lenses and fisheyes, though I know they are really really tough to use.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the lens. It is respectably sharp if you stop down quite a lot (enough that diffraction comes into play, such as f/16 or even f/22). Oddly, it seems sharper at the 12mm end than at the 24mm end, which is not what I expected at all! I've read that Sigma can often improve these things significantly if you send it into them to be serviced, and I'm going to do so with mine in hopes of improving the 24mm end.

The lens is bulky, and certainly not light, but I don't think of it as particularly heavy. One thing I dislike about it compared to the 14mm Sigma prime that I had as a previous ultrawide is that the minimum focus distance is much longer--About 18 inches, twice that of the 14mm. But the 14mm looked like the photos were shot through coke bottle glass on my 1Ds, whereas the zoom gives me photos that I'm quite content with.

Not really relevant to macro, but I thought it was interesting if anyone was looking for such a lens, and some of the perspectives you get at 12mm are wild. Such as the one above, which has no merit at all except that it looks like it was taken from an airplane! (was actually grabbed from a balcony in a moderately high building). You can see the same view from the same spot at a more sane focal length here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=250
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks to be a great lens if you want to show someone the sights in images. I doubt that the lens would be of much use to me but every now and again, I find myself wishing I had a wider lens than my EF 28-135mm zoom, then again I have the 1.6X conversion factor to deal with too making the sigma about a 22mm lens for me. Who knows though, maybe one day I will be able to run with you "big dogs" at full frame. Until then I will take my 30D and just shoot from under the porch. :lol:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike, this sounds like an interesting lens. For this angle of view, I have always either a) shot with a fisheye and then de-fished using Panorama Tools (e.g. PTGui), or b) shot multiple frames with a longer wide-angle, and then stitched using Panorama Tools. At this time I would not have enough use for this lens to justify buying one, but it's nice to know that they exist.

--Rik

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

rjlittlefield wrote:At this time I would not have enough use for this lens to justify buying one, but it's nice to know that they exist.
I don't have enough use for one to justify owning it, but I bought one anyway! I mainly want it for taking shots of interiors....Some friends and I are planning to visit an old battleship late this year, and I can envision some interesting shots inside the turrets (I am a warship buff). And I hope to use it for room interiors in general. It is reputed to have very little distortion (there is a detailed test of that on a 1.6 crop camera at photozone.de) and my experience backs that up so far. A good thing for lots of manmade straight lines!

On trips where I don't take my full-frame camera for some reason, it will also give me a genuinely wide field of view on my Rebel XTi backup (19-38mm equivalent).

I played with it taking some (relatively) close shots in a flowerbed today, and may try to get some better closeups and post them in the main forums. But I'm going to be pretty much out-of-pocket till Thursday night or so!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

If you're after straight lines, then be aware that software like PTgui and PTlens is quite good at correcting ordinary lens distortion, as well as de-fishing. I think the compelling issue is resolution. My Sigma 8mm fisheye actually makes a great general purpose snapshooting lens, because it's always wide enough and it has enough resolution to make decent snapshots. All I have to do is de-fish it so that straight lines are straight, and I'm in business. It's not a great architectural lens, though, because it doesn't have enough resolution. No doubt the pano groups will be discussing this new Sigma lens soon enough. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say.

--Rik

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< Some friends and I are planning to visit an old battleship late this year, and I can envision some interesting shots inside the turrets (I am a warship buff). >>

Apologies if considered OT, but I wondered if the linked site - dedicated to 3D military modelling might be of interest?

http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/

Unfortunately you'll have to join (free) to get maximum benefit, otherwise you'll not be able to view images associated with their server.

Some model pics that aren't - to give you an idea of what's going on:

Warship
http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/s ... d.php?t=87

Aircraft
http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/s ... .php?t=956

Tank
http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/s ... php?t=1416

The level of detail / accuracy is sometimes astounding, with (say) individual aircraft being modelled and set in specific scenes, based on information derived from the pilot(s) of same.

On a side note - these ppl are always on the lookout for reference material :)

(I'm not connected with this site in any way, btw)

pp

LisaG

Post by LisaG »

I love this picture, Mike! I know you'll have lots of fun with your new lens.

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic