Radical Research RMM-55T-IM metallurgical microscope??

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RCAguy

Radical Research RMM-55T-IM metallurgical microscope??

Post by RCAguy »

Any opinion of the Radical Research India model RMM-55T-IM metallurgical microscope? The links below are short on specifications, but the 20~400x magnifications would suit me well. Nor have I located a US seller or price. Perhaps not top quality, their other models seem a bit higher $ than Amscope. And they are made in India.

Radical Research RMM-55T-IM - http://www.radicalindia.com/Metallurgic ... scope.html

Mfgr by - http://radicalscientific.com/uprightmet ... scope.html

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

My experience with Radical is limited and dated.

Back in 2012, I purchased from them a set of 4X-40X metallurgical objectives to evaluate for use in macro photography. They sent biological objectives, clearly marked as being intended for use with 0.17 mm cover glass. After several emails, they shipped me a replacement set of objectives. The replacements were metallurgical (no cover glass), but again they were not the ones that I had ordered. (They shipped me short WD plan achromats; I had ordered longer WD basic achromats.) After several more exchanges, I finally ended up returning the objectives and eating the shipping cost. At that point they offered to loan me LWD objectives. I accepted the offer, but the LWD objectives never arrived. The interaction stopped at that point.

In addition to the logistical difficulties, one of the 4X objectives showed the worst manufacturing and QA that I have ever seen. The focus distance was more than 1 mm different from the other objectives and the image quality was asymmetric. Looking into the end of the lens, it appeared to have been assembled improperly. The inner cylinder was off center and tilted with respect to the mounting threads.

On the bright side, a 100X NA 0.80 WD 2.0 that I bought from them at the same time was OK and I kept that.

If you do give them a try, please let us know how it works out.

--Rik

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy »

Thanks Rik, although your reply doesn't instill the confidence I was seeking! :wink: Whom did you buy through? Amazon Prime has many Radical Research models, but not this one. I particularly like the 5x and 10x occulars coupled with 4x, 10x, 20x, & 40x LWD objectives (NCG). Anyone else have experience, good or bad, and a source? Or a recommended equivalent unit?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I purchased through their eBay store, "microscopesind", http://www.ebay.in/usr/microscopesind.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic