Volvox in phase contrast

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ralfwagner

Volvox in phase contrast

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Volvox freaks,

at the moment there is a bloom of Volvox in my garden ponds that I have never seen before in this enormity. Unfortunately there are no individuals in sexual reproduction showing that nice orange-colored cells, but maybe I am lucky with that some day.

The following pic shows three features of Volvox: The eyespots are "looking" all together in the same direction, the cells are connected to each other by plasmodesmen (the black lines between the cells) and each cell is sitting in its own, nearly hexagonal shaped gelatin.

Have fun!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wow... that's a really nice picture Ralf! Excellent!

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Charles,

many thanks!

olivier barth

Post by olivier barth »

Hi Ralf,
I've never seen Volvox,but your picture is very impressive!
where can I find it easily?
best regards

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Olivier,

Volovox is very common. You can find it between macroscopic algae in euthroph regions of small and large ponds. According to my experience spring and autumn are the best seasons. However, you must have a little bit of luck to find them. Bernhard tried to find them for several years and only in spring this year he has been successful. On the other hand, I myself find Volvox very often, not only in my garden ponds, and I am living only 50 km away from Bernhard. Perhaps its like searching mushrooms, if you know what I mean.
I could also try to send you a sample of my garden-pond Volvox. I think that the journey to France is not too far for a Volvox :lol: .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic