Plagiomnium ellipticum, Part II

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ralfwagner

Plagiomnium ellipticum, Part II

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello,

here is part II of Plagiomnium ellipticum:

d) Seamed leaf border:

e) Polygonal lamina-cells. On a closer look at the chloroplasts you will even find some of them in dividing-process:

f) Stem, cross section in Etzold stain. Central part with central string (hadrom) and surrounding conducting tissue. At the border we see the outer cortex-layer (stereom). This is the way the stem of most leaf-mosses (Bryopsida) looks alike:

Enjoy!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Images a-e are a really interesting series! They remind me of that "powers of 10" film. Image f is so different that I have to think hard to figure out what part of the moss it corresponds too.

--Rik

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Rik,

look at pic a): There you see the leaf attached to the stem. Pic f) shows a cross-section of that stem. In order to obtain more contrast, this cross-section was stained with a mixture of some special blue and red dyes. This is what makes that pic real different. We call that mixture "Etzolds-dye" because Mr. Etzold introduced this method into microscopy. Hope that things are a bit clearer now. :)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ralf,
Enjoyed this series of photos. When viewed with the microscope mosses can be very beautiful. Many times while searching for "critters" I will come upon a fragment of moss and spend a great deal of time studying it.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

the cells look very intriguing, youve captured them very well.

im abit of a micro newbie, but i find it all so facinating, are those green cells inside the chloroplast the chlorophyll?

thanks for sharing.

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello Adrian,

that round green dots inside cells are the chloroplasts and the chlorophyll molecules inside the chloroplasts make them look green. But you can't see the chlorophyll seperately, it is too small.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

ahhh, thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic