What is causing streaks - top right

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NewForestTel

What is causing streaks - top right

Post by NewForestTel »

I have been learning from this forum over the last 18 months and it is really appreciated. Rik pointed me towards the setup for a full frame camera when using a 160mm tube length with a reversed Raynox 150 lens and a Nikon 10 Plan objective. I have tried that and it works with minimum vignetting.
The attached image is taken with a full frame Canon 1Ds Mk3 and a MPE65mm macro lens at 2.5x. I consistently get streaks in images with this lens and with the microscope objective setup. I have seen an explanation on the forums but cannot find it in a search. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
This is my first post with an image so hopefully I have used the correct procedureImage
Terry Turner

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Looks like a dirty sensor to me. To verify, take a photo of a clear blue sky or white paper. Set aperture to f/16. Doesn't matter whether the shot is in focus or not. Sensor dirt will show up.

NewForestTel

Post by NewForestTel »

Thanks for your reply.
Why didn't I think of that? I was thinking that it was something to do with the alignment of camera and subject during stacking.
Best wishes
Terry Turner

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I was thinking that it was something to do with the alignment of camera and subject during stacking
The dust trails are due to the actual dust particle on sensor remaining at the same place while the subject magnification changes during the focus stacking. The stacking software adjusts the frame to the subject as it should do so the dust spots moves radially at the frame.
The camera is well aligned: the trails pointing radially certifies it.
Pau

NewForestTel

Post by NewForestTel »

Thanks Pau
I have learned something else. It is nice to know that camera alignment is correct and nice to know how you have confirmed it.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated
Terry Turner

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic