New Guy

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well, it sounds like as soon as you get the scope you will be set to go. :D I have PhotoShop Elements 4.0, it's o.k. but I really don't like it. I prefer my outdated Photo Impact 6 better. They both do a great job but PhotoShop takes me in a round about way to do what I usually do with Photo Impact. :? Anyway to each his own I suppose. :D

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

Ken Ramos wrote:Well, it sounds like as soon as you get the scope you will be set to go. :D I have PhotoShop Elements 4.0, it's o.k. but I really don't like it. I prefer my outdated Photo Impact 6 better. They both do a great job but PhotoShop takes me in a round about way to do what I usually do with Photo Impact. :? Anyway to each his own I suppose. :D
Yes, it's what you first get comfy with. Then it's hard to change to another system/item.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

PeglegOS

You could always get yourself designated as a university. I was told many years ago that a British pharmaceutical firm donated one of their old SEM microscopes to this university for free! The university used to get amazed reactions when they ordered parts for it however, because it was "model 1" or something similar, being one of the first SEM's made!

Those new to microscopes, and even present users may find this interactive tutorial useful:-

http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/java/index.html

DaveW

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

PeglegOS wrote:Here's the way it looks as a trike...

My toy is NOW on order...... I can hardly wait for it to get here... :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I suppose there will be a few sleepless nights ahead. Hope your new scope is a pleasure to use and that you will get years of enjoyment from it. :D

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

Ken Ramos wrote:Well I suppose there will be a few sleepless nights ahead. Hope your new scope is a pleasure to use and that you will get years of enjoyment from it. :D
Thanks for all your help Ken, and for telling me to call John at GreatScopes. He was extremely helpful, and I'll be a loyal customer of his for a long time.

Hopefully I'll have something to upload here soon....

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

PeglegOS wrote:
Ken Ramos wrote:http://www.greatscopes.com/rev3.htm#features

This is a high power compound from LWS, I have used some of LWS Scientifics optics in the past and they are pretty good for amateur work. The Revelation is a good microscope for the money to get you started at $499.00 US. This scope can be upgraded to an extent, as your needs grow, which is not available in most scopes in that price range. However this link does not show it with a trinocular head, which will be needed for photography. If you look farther down the link it references a trinocular head for another $199.00US, which comes to about $698.00 US. You could purchase the scope and then get the trinoc head later on, when you can reasonably afford to do so. That is what I did with my Zeiss Axiostar. Call the toll free number or email them and talk to their representative about what you need in the scope. I understand that you are on a fixed income and that you must stay within a reasonable budget. For a good microscope I think this is about the best I can come up with new. Good scopes are going to cost good money, unfortunately. The only thing I can suggest is the eBay route if you find one that you feel comfortable in buying. As I said before I do not like second hand unless I can physically examine and use the scope prior to purchase. Some folks have gotten excellent deals on eBay and some have been burned badly, so eBay is a 50/50 chance in my opinion.

Looks real good.. I think I'll get one.... Thanks :D
It's on the UPS truck here in town, scheduled for delivery later today. Happy Happy, Joy Joy. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

It has arrived and I'm a happy camper. Now begins my education into the mysterious microworld.

O my, you guys are contagious with your descriptions..... :lol:
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic