Macro Setup Help

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

phil_H

Macro Setup Help

Post by phil_H »

I am building a table top macro setup and was thinking of using one of these platforms.
Q1 - would they be suitable
Q2 - Does anybody know the difference between the two.
One is described as a XYZR Axis trimming cross guide rail linear stages slipway
The other is XYZ0 axis platform precision linear cross-roller bearing.

This is my first post and I hope that I have done it correctly.

Many thanks
Phil

(admin edited to make visible the pictures)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Phil, welcome aboard!
This is my first post and I hope that I have done it correctly.
I see that one of my fellow admins has edited your post to make the images visible. Probably there was some problem with the [img] tags. You can click on the "Quote" button of post to see what he did. After you get done studying it, just use the Back button of your browser to effectively cancel the posting that will have been started by Quote.

When posting, it's always a good idea to click the Preview button before clicking Submit, to make sure that the post looks the way you intend it to. It's pretty common for errors in tag usage to make the post look strange. In some cases, erroneous usage of the [url] tag can even make the whole post become invisible!
Q2 - Does anybody know the difference between the two.
Notice that the second one explicitly says "cross-roller bearing", while the first one does not. This probably means that the first one is using ball bearings, rather than cross-roller bearings. Cross-roller bearings are able to carry a lot heavier load than ball bearings, so if load capacity is an issue then the second would be better.
Q1 - would they be suitable
If you're planning to use these as part of the specimen positioning stack, then either one will work well. I suggest adding at least one goniometer module to the stack also, so as to give you precise tilt/rotation around both the left/right and up/down axes (with respect to the captured frame).

--Rik

phil_H

Post by phil_H »

Hi Rik

Thanks for your reply I will go ahead and order one of these unit, I also took your advice and I ordered a 2 axis goniometer I found secondhand on eBay.

Many thanks

Phil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic