Guess who's back? (Giraffe weevil)

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macrero

Guess who's back? (Giraffe weevil)

Post by Macrero »

Hi gang,

my last post was entitled "a stack for goodbye", so this one may be considered "a stack for hello" :P In spite of my disappointment with some details, this is a site where I learned a lot over the years, so without further ado... I'd like to share with you one of my latest work, a stack of this fascinating insect, endemic to Madagascar - Giraffe weevil (Trachelophorus giraffa). Its extended neck is an adaptation that assists in nest building and fighting.

Cheers!
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi dude

Welcome back

Sticking your neck out?

????

Mike

Saul

Post by Saul »

Impressive specimen !
Saul
μ-stuff

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Se bienvenido!
Is he alive?
...and following your signature, how did you light it? I'm sure further details would be interesting
Chris R

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Thanks all! Nope, the specimen is dead, although I tried to make it look as "natural" as possible (I always try, don't always succeed), it seems that in this case I succeeded though, as several people have asked me if the bug is alive :D It is a studio stack, I used my cheap but good enough for me Fuji X-M1 and a lens I'm currently testing - a JML 81/4. The lighting consists of 3 Ikea LED Lamps + DIY difuser.

My neck is ok, Mike, thank you :D
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

What an amazing looking insect. Nicely done.
Tell us about the lens and its mounting too.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

g4lab wrote:What an amazing looking insect. Nicely done.
Tell us about the lens and its mounting too.
Thanks g4lab, it is yet another mysterious lens I bought impulsively, lol. There is no "mount", the lens came in a sort of plate, I have no idea what this lens was intended for, some kind of industrial application... The aperture is f/4 fixed, but I've stopped it down and it performs significantly better in terms of contrast and definition. It's really not very stunning lens, usable would be the right word.

- Macrero

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Beautiful work! Very interesting subject. I can only imagine the time you must have spent on this photo. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

C.Seno

Post by C.Seno »

Macrero, nice to see you are back! Very nice photo as usual and with a very interesting critter.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Beautiful. Your work is amazing and very inspirational.

Note: I just came across this image on Ebay. I assume it is you who is selling a JML 81mm f/4 lens and that this image is not stolen.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Thanks all :wink:

@abpho: Yep, that's me. Thanks, though. Some people have a bad habit to "borrow" pictures for their ads...

- Macrero

quenoteam

Post by quenoteam »

Magnífica esa jirafa de Madagascar. Macrero.

Vaya, ahora me entero por este hilo de que estás vendiendo un JML 80mm f4 en ebay a muy buen precio. Si me hubiera enterado antes... creo que no me habría comprado el Rodenstock Rodagon 105mm f5,6. Creo que me habría quedado con ese JML.
Ya sabes... para otra vez nos pones una nota en macros muy macros o en el mercadillo de ya sabes donde. :wink:

saludos!!

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Gracias Javier, pues no me dí cuenta la verdad... aúnque no sé, estoy pensando en quedarmelo, ya veremos.

Saludos!

bobfriedman

Post by bobfriedman »

truly excellent!

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

excellent

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic