Tokina 100mm Macro as a tube lens on a nikon 10X

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

I`m trying to avoid shades (lens or any other kind) that`s the reason I don`t use black tape, I believe that if I get my pictures with my lens in a parallel position to the subject there would be no shade forming anywhere.
Yes Chris that`s the post I was referring to. My wrapping the objective cylindrical paper has the length of the objective wd, unfortunately the thickness of my diffuser white foam is forbidding light from getting through it (I was thinking to attempt this idea but when I received the real thing I found out that it was very thick for that kind of work). Your idea with a small peace of tape in frond of the objective is very helpful and if my current way did not work I will embrace it.
I hope you've attended to shiny surfaces on the INSIDE of the tubes & rear end of the lens
I can`t understand how I`ll place " shiny surfaces on the INSIDE of the tubes & rear end of the lens" (!)
Ordinary paper is better. A second sheet, with a separation between them, adds significantly to diffusion.
I am already thinking that.

8)
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

No not placing, but covering, with something black!

Look in the back of the assembly as suggested previously - can you see anything shiny? If you can, the sensor will too.
Light can also reflect back off your sensor onto a shiny adapter or lens, then back to the sensor.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

There may be another language issue here-- when photographers speak of a "lens shade" we usually mean "something to keep stray light from going into the lens, not to keep stray light from hitting the subject, which I now think might have been your meaning.

My previous comment wouldn't make sense if that is what you meant.

But in light of your serious flare problems earlier, you might seriously think about a real, cone-shaped lens shade.

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

One example of your sayings is to paint with something black the remaining threads of the objective in inside surface of the 58 to 52 adapter witch is used to attach the objective in the front of the tube lens.
I hope I gut what you are meaning ... meanwhile I am continuing my preparation for the shoot, one of my friends, who is on his way to visit me, promised me that he will find a bug to bring me.
I hope this will end with a beautiful picture.

{-o<
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Lou you posted when I was writing my answer to Chris, the stack with the serious lighting problems was shot next to a tin bottle of Acetone, now I am trying to avoid any shiny thing that will cause reflections.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

One example of your sayings is to paint with something black the remaining threads of the objective in inside surface of the 58 to 52 adapter
I expect that would be too "wide" to be important, but if the threads are not black, it could be something.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I hope you get a nice insect and beautiful pictures!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This is the sort of thing I meant:

ImageImage
Chris R

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Until now I was painting the threads of my objective with a black marker:

In my newest ones I`ll use black tape.

In the past two days I`ve only managed to take that ones:

I know they are terrible (especially the first one). I have to do some improvements in my workflow (fist of all these to images were shot with continuous light).
I am already thinking ways to deal with some of my issues.

:smt012
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic