Advice for a Starter Microscope set up for Sony A7rii camera

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

olliewilkins

Advice for a Starter Microscope set up for Sony A7rii camera

Post by olliewilkins »

Hi There,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to spot a thread.

I am looking for advice to buy a beginners set up for some micro photography. I have a Sony A7Rii with e-mount and I'm looking to buy a microscope and adaptor to experiment with some 4K filming.

I'm budgeting under £200. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Ollie

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ollie,

Normally a post asking for equipment suggestions will get more of a response.

Honestly I think your "under £200" budget has folks stymied as to what to suggest.

You might be able to track down an old used scope from one of the "Big 4" that you could try, but for under £200 you would have to be extremely lucky and fairly knowledgeable about the offerings to get something usable.

The other approach that is a possibility is one of the inexpensive Chinese made microscopes. You can find them readily on eBay, but nobody I am aware of has much experience with their optical quality. Most microscope dealers will also carry some of these as their lower priced offerings. I suggest you look at Brunel Microscopes Ltd. ( http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/ )They have a very good reputation and offer a wide range of equipment.

The microscope equipment needed can vary greatly depending on the subject matter you wish to photograph and the lighting methods you wish to use.

You will want a trinocular microscope, and if you are shooting video, you would likely want a trinocular head that "splits" the light between viewing and the camera port. Since you are using a full-frame camera (24x36mm sensor) you will want to be sure that you have access to the proper optics (typically a 2.5X projection lens) in the trinocular tube along with the appropriate Sony mount. Many trinocular heads these days seem to be outfitted with C-mount adapter for small format sensor (1/2" or so) cameras.

If you can provide some idea of subject matter and preferred lighting it might be possible to make more specific suggestions.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Advice for a Starter Microscope set up for Sony A7rii ca

Post by Chris S. »

Ollie,

Belatedly, welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sure Charlie is right about folks being stymied by your budget. I have a microscope that tends to sell a bit under £200 second hand, but I wouldn't recommend it even for general observation, let alone film making.

Since you quoted your budget in GBP, likely you are based in the U.K.? If so, perhaps you should contact the Quekett Microscopical Club. Some of their members participate in our forum. If I understand correctly, this organization sometimes hosts events where members sell surplus gear. Though you would probably need to adjust your budget upward, such an event--and the knowledge of Queckett's members--might help you get solid value for whatever you spend.

Good luck!

--Chris

Alan Wood

Re: Advice for a Starter Microscope set up for Sony A7rii ca

Post by Alan Wood »

Ollie

It is not easy to contact the Quekett Microscopical Club at present because of a major problem with our website (http://www.quekett.org).

If you send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address, I will send you a copy of the page that lists the events in the UK where you might find a suitable microscope.

However, I doubt if you will find a suitable one for £200.

Alan Wood (Quekett webmaster)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic