General question regarding the forums/pages

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tsavorite

General question regarding the forums/pages

Post by tsavorite »

I'm new to this website and I'm very impressed with the photographs and the subjects discussed in the various posts. I have been going through the past posts and at some point I stop for a while - for example at "page 27" of a particular forum. If I want to go back to reading the posts at the page number where I left off (or to another desired page)- is there a way to go directly there or do I have to start at page 1 and keep advancing through the page numbers one at a time until I get to the page I want?
Barry

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

There's no really simple way to get to a particular page, if "simple" means something like a field that you could just type in "27" to get to page 27.

Instead, if you're not on page 1 then the page number is encoded in the URL as a "start=<value>" parameter, where <value> is 50 for page 2, 100 for page 3, and so on following the formula start=(N-1)*50 for page N.

For example page 27 of this forum is represented by the following URL:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... start=1300

Other forums will have different f= values.

So, there are at least two ways to get directly back to the page number that you want:

1. Compute the value of start=(N-1)*50 and type it into the URL.
2. Bookmark the URL when you're already on the desired page.

I hope this helps!

--Rik

tsavorite

Post by tsavorite »

Rik - Thank you very much. I just tried your second way of getting back to a particular page (by bookmarking it) and it works.
Barry

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

May be useful - the little "corner folded sheet" Image symbol to the left of the word "Posted" gives a bookmark for an individual post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic