How do you combine ext tubes + reverse ring adapter?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Xanthocryptus

How do you combine ext tubes + reverse ring adapter?

Post by Xanthocryptus »

I'm using this thread as a guide.

I cant work out how to combine the extension tube with the reverse ring adapter. I can attach the adapter to the lens and then connect the lens + adapter onto the camera fine. But how does the extension tube fit into the equation? I've tried to find somewhere to connect it but there doesn't seem to be anywhere it can go.

What am I doing wrong here?

I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens on a Canon 550D. The extension tube set appears to be 58mm diameter on one side and 62mm on the other, and I'm trying to use the smallest, or just the one with the camera attachment. I'd really appreciate a walkthrough here as I can't find any clear instructions on how to combine a reverse ring and ext tubes after googling.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It sounds like you're struggling to use something that most of us would not call "extension tubes". Standard extension tubes have the same type of fittings on both ends, one male and one female. In the thread that you've pointed to, the required extension tube(s) would be Canon bayonet, something like THIS, and they would go between the camera and the reverse adapter.

Can you show us a snapshot or provide a link to show us what you have?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Adding some info...

Sometimes cheap extension tube sets consist of two end pieces that fit the camera and lens, plus threaded tubes in between to add more space. Something like THESE. If you're looking at pieces that have just big threads, perhaps you're looking at some in-between tubes and need to track down the end pieces.

--Rik

Xanthocryptus

Post by Xanthocryptus »

Hi Rik,

Apologies for the delay getting back.

Yes I'm using a set like your second link, a cheaper set. I think this is the one I bought. Is it still possible to use them in this way? I'll try and figure it out.

Cheers

Xanthocryptus

Post by Xanthocryptus »

Hi Rik,

I figured it out after reading your explanation, so thank you very much! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into helping so thanks for everything you do!

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic