My first steps, I need obviously help.

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

The only prime 200mm lens I know costs thousands of dollars and it is so big that is not suitable for that kind of work :

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produc ... vr-ii.html

By the way what is your proposal on the most decent lens to be used as a tube lens? I`m thinking of taking this for start :

http://www.giannatos-foto.gr/product_in ... s_id=14230

just to experiment.

I`ll deal with united camera later, in fact I can`t export any money now with the capital controls here in Greece.
Thank you any way for your interesting proposals, I`ve already ordered a cable to join the flash with the camera from a distance (3 meters cable).
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Try an ebay search on something like
nikon 200mm lens f/4 -hood -cap -filter -ring -manual -mount -pouch -af -case

Avoid zooms.

I have an early AI version which was under $100. It's my routine "tube" lens.
If you get a Pre-AI version there MAY be a problem with the ring rubbing the AI mechanism on the camera. I'm not sure of the truth on this. I have some Pre AI lenses which are fine on my D700 - I think it's down to tolerances.

A very viable alternative (perhaps better) would be to use the Raynox close-up dioptre with some cheap tubes and rings.

Before you do that, DO try your "REAL" flash, hopefully the difference will be large!
I have tried a Sigma 28 - 300 as a tube lens (poor) and a Nikon current 28-300 which is better, but still not as good as a simple fixed lens.
Other zooms all vignette, though in some cases it's minor.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

While I was typing, ChrisR also wrote and posted sooner. Our responses overlap, but I'll go ahead and post my response, for whatever it's worth.
All Ex wrote:The only prime 200mm lens I know costs thousands of dollars and it is so big that is not suitable for that kind of work :

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produc ... vr-ii.html
Don't buy this lens!!! :D The 200mm Nikkor you referenced is highly regarded as a telephoto/portrait lens, and may well be worth its high price for modeling shoots and such. (I do a certain amount of portraiture, and have considered buying this lens for this work.) But you are looking for a 200mm lens devoted to a very different task--a converging lens for infinite microscope objectives. This is a much less demanding application, and far less expensive converging lenses are available.

Consider the lenses that turn up on this eBay search. These lenses will likely serve very well for your purpose, and generally sell for just a bit more than $100 USD.

Earlier in this thread, Fergus took you even further back to the Nikon Q-series lenses, which are a generation or two earlier than the the AIS I recommended. These Q-series lenses generally sell for a bit less than the AIS Nikon lenses. So far as I know, they are often considered to be very good. This said, I have no personal experience with them.
By the way, what is your proposal on the most decent lens to be used as a tube lens? I`m thinking of taking this for start :

http://www.giannatos-foto.gr/product_in ... s_id=14230
No, don't buy this lens! Instead, purchase an old-stock, prime, Nikon 200mm lens.

Cheers,

--Chris S.
Last edited by Chris S. on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Rik's post using the Raynox 150 (the longer one) is
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 195#143195

I would avoid the conical adapter, Plain tubes are cheaper and cause fewer problems with internal reflections.

The assembly would cost less than $100, I think, new, though I can imagine trying to buy all the parts from within Greece could be a nightmare :( .

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

I thing I`ll go with the setup that Chris S proposed. I mean first I`ll try to find some cheap older version of a 200mm prime (second hand I think I`ll find from inside Greece) or else, when the time comes and the capital controls cease to exist, I`ll try to get one from the eBay search Chris S proposed. The setup Chris R proposed with the Raynox 150 and the adapters and all the other things that Rik describes in his post is incredible to accomplish hear at this times.

For the time being I`ll stick with the use of the Yonguo flash (by the way, I have already asked the United Camera of the estimated cost of repairing my SB800).

Thank you very match for your advices, I`ll try to gain the most of them, you`ll be seeing my next attempts as soon as somebody brinks me a bug to shoot.

Talking to you soon.
:smt023
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic