Problems with our web server

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Problems with our web server

Post by rjlittlefield »

Just so you know...

It looks like there are some problems at the hosting service that we use for the forum and the rest of our web site.

There are several different symptoms: very slow response, HTTP 500 "Internal Server Error", etc. We're trying to track down the root causes and get 'em fixed. No success yet :( , but we will get 'em -- honest! :D

Anyway, some of us admins have been getting enough of these to get pretty frustrated, and we're concerned that regular forum users might be having similar problems.

The way I read our logs, something goes wrong with about 1 out of every 70 accesses. For those of us who might do several hundred accesses a day, that adds up pretty fast.

Anybody out there care to tell us how things look from user land?

Thanks very much,
--Rik

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I'm here most days sometimes twice a day, and usually click only a few times on each visit. I haven't had any particular problems here, though I may not access the site enough....I probably take perhaps three days to do 70 "clicks", which would only give me an average of one failure. And I don't even remember having a single failure lately.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I have noticed the slow response time and numerous server errors. They seem to be mre frequent that every 70 clicks but I have not counted.
Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

And now that I've said what I said earlier about no problems, I failed twice consecutively to get on the site a few minutes ago! After about 15 minutes, I was able to get on with no problems, though. I haven't had any particular problem with slow response at the site.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

georgedingwall

Post by georgedingwall »

Had a few access failures today, but not really noticed any slowness once I have the forum loaded.

Bye for now.
George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It turned out there was another web site that was overloading our shared server.

The hosting service tracked down the problem and suspended the "abuser" (their term).

So, things should be back to normal now for our forum. Happy days are here again! :D

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yep, everything is working finer than "frog hair" here Rik. :D Working great. Now if I had something worthwhile to post. :lol: Thanks! :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well it was...I got a HTTP 500 on that previous post... :smt043 :smt044 :smt043

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I better find that when I check the logs, Ken, or you're gonna pay... :roll:

--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

rjlittlefield wrote:I better find that when I check the logs, Ken, or you're gonna pay... :roll:

--Rik
Make him pay anyway, just for getting the error :lol:
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

If he actually got the error, I think he already paid! :lol:

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey I really did get a HTTP 500. 8) Sue is just jealous because she did not get one too! :P Glad they have all but cleared up though. I can handle one or two once in a while. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic