Recommendations for a Macro Focusing rail

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

archelon

Recommendations for a Macro Focusing rail

Post by archelon »

Hello People,

I have a query on selecting an good macro focusing rail for macro photography at a magnification between 1:1 to 3:1.

I am using a canon 70D and an sigma 150mm macro lens and am planning to attach an achromat close up lens of diopter +2 and at times +5 both of which produces an magnification more than 1:1.
While reading about focus stacking (as i would have to do to get sharp images at that high magnification), i just calculated my safe focus stacking step size and it shows me that i would have to move the focusing rail less than 1 mm each time to do a proper stacking.

I have calculated the safe focus stacking step size here ..
http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/#calculator

So the question are
1. are there any manual macro focusing rails available that move in the step of less than 1mm or will have to go for a computerized rail by stackshot?
2. Is the safe focusing stacking step size calculator on the above link right?
3. Can anyone recommend a good focusing rail for magnification above 1X to 3X. I am also on a budget so i dont want to invest alot of money on it.

Any help is much appreciated!

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

archelon

Post by archelon »

thank you soldevilla! that post do have a lot of info regarding focusing rails.

but i still didnt find the answer i was looking for. I am looking for a focusing rail to help in focus stacking of images from magnification of 1X to 3X and also one which i can use in the filed.
I am not looking for something i can build at this moment, what i want is an ready made rail which i can just buy and use it.

Will the velbon mag slider be sufficient to what i am looking for? or i will have to look at some more expensive sliders by kirk and noveflex, etc..

Help is much appreciated.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There's nothing very very good, at any price, as far as I know.

It's a choice probably between the Velbon and a Manfotto 454.
Both require care in use & have shortcomings, but do work.
More words here: http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... 278#140278

archelon

Post by archelon »

thanks a lot ChrisR!

The post does answer my question to some extent!

I guess i will go with the velbon for now as it fulfills the requirement for the magnification i am looking for.

Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic