Raynox as tube lens, distance from sensor confusion

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Koorosh

Raynox as tube lens, distance from sensor confusion

Post by Koorosh »

Hi everyone,
I am just slightly confused where I should be distancing my Raynox DCR 150 from the sensor. Am I measuring from the front of the lens, the back of the lens, or from the front of the objective in front of it? Is it 208mm from the front of the Raynox that is the optimal distance from the sensor?
I haven't measured absolutely exactly and roughly guessed the distance from the front of the camera to the sensor (Sony a6000) , then literally measured the front of the Raynox to the sensor at 208mm with a ruler against the bellows and camera. I find myself quite disappointed by the corner sharpness really, and am wondering if that's the objective or the distance that might be the issue. It's a brand new lens, although I am aware there can be good examples and bad examples of the same model.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Am I measuring from the front of the lens, the back of the lens, or from the front of the objective in front of it?
No. :) Probably none of those, as it's a compound lens.
The Raynox lens should be focused at infinity, so remove the objective and focus on something distant. Tha last thing I used was venus, but it's not that critical!

What's the objective you're using? Are all four corners the same more or less?

Koorosh

Post by Koorosh »

Ha ha ok, well I took your advice and I was out by quite a bit for infinity focus, thanks Chris :) I'm using the Nikon BE objectives, 10 and 4x.
Can I ask what a compound lens is?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic