Advice needed please on Sale of Images.

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pwiles1968

Advice needed please on Sale of Images.

Post by pwiles1968 »

Firstly I would like to apologise for my lack of attendance on the site recently, I took up Archery just after Christmas and have been really taken with the sport spending a lot of my spear time at the field.

I am writing this as I have been contacted by someone requesting to buy the rights to some of my images, I have asked them for more information as I don't even know which images, What I would like to know is how much would you usually sell the rights of images for? (i know it is hard to tell without knowing what they are and what they will be used for) and is there anything I should be aware of, any advice would be really appreciated.

Just to prove I have had the camera out lately.
Sorry I know it is probably too wide unless the rules have changed.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I don't know a lot about it Paul but there was a Mr. Crisswell who asked about some of my photographs at one time. To my understanding the "user fee" is on average $200.00US per photograph, if I am not mistaken. Sue has sold a few so you may want to ask her. I would not be surprised if Charlie might have some info on this too. :wink:

salden

Post by salden »

It depends...

are you selling the "Rights" as in your Copyright to the images (ownership) or a one time use for a brochure or print? It is dependent on the use and size and the "rights".
Sue Alden

Epidic

Post by Epidic »

It would depend on who they are, how they want to use them, and what rights they are interested in. This is a complex topic. I would find out more about what they want and then ask the question again.
Will

salden

Post by salden »

It sure is complex. Even an ad or magazine layout, the price is dependent on "front cover", half page, 1/4 page, etc. What is the distribution and all that stuff.
Sue Alden

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Surely "buying the rights" means they are buying the copyright of the picture? The picture then becomes their sole property to use as they wish or sell the use of to others and even the copywrite when they are finished with it.

You would no longer own it and cannot even use it yourself unless they give you permission, and would probably even charge you for doing so! If they are buying limited rights of use and you still own the copywrite that is a different matter.

I believe Michael Jackson bought the rights to many of the Beetles songs. The ex Beetles do not own them any longer. Michael gets the royalties when they are now played, not Paul and Ringo!

As you are in the UK I suggest you read the following:-

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyr ... yright_law

If you are selling the copywrite (that is transferring ownership of the picture to another) you want a greater payment than if you are only granting them limited rights of use. You have to consider if you will make more money by accepting a once and for all payment, or by repeatedly selling the right to reproduce your picture to others for much smaller fees.

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic