an other try... help me

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I would try a smaller aperture. You're "only" at effective aperture f/18. Your D800 has pixels which are small enough that diffraction would be starting to hurt you IF the lens were sharp - but it isn't, particularly!
Keep trying until it becomes worse again! That could even be f/32 or beyond.

You're right to be suspicious about the ultimate quality of the Raynox.
Here is a test Rik ran which compared a Macro lens + lower power Raynox against a better optic, and the difference is clear. You are pushing things further with your stronger Raynox. :(
I see they cost about $135. For less than that you could buy a good 10x microscope objective, which would outperform it by a good amount.
Eg in the FAQ Here

Your Raynox would be good though for videos of small things, or with a small-sensor camera. With those you often need to be hopelessly close to the subject to get "macro", at the wide angle setting. With this Raynox you could use a longer zoom setting on the camera. The perspective might reverse, which you may not notice!

Arch86

Post by Arch86 »

today I've tried the other raynox lens, the DCR 250 on nikkor 105 mm f 2.8 micro

nikon d800
105mm f 2.8 micro + Raynox DCR 250
f11
1/100
iso 200

flash metz af 50-1
EV+2

focus stacking of 240 pics

it doesn't seems too bad... the 1:1 crop looks quite good (better than the other one with raynox msn 505)

ChrisR, you are right, probably with 135$ I should buy a microscope lens.. probably I'll sell the 505

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That's encouraging, I hope! Sharpness-wise there's plenty to make great pictures.
Field of view minimum, I get with that combination 17mm.
21mm with the DCR150, 14mm with both those together, 9mm with the MSN202.

My question though, is the spider alive :D?

Arch86

Post by Arch86 »

probably he was sleeping.... maybe, now, he's blind.... I've flashed him 240 times...

I've tried to use two lateral flashes units instead one frontal unit, keeping diaphragm at 5.6 and without any diffuser exluding its own, this is the result

1a1 crop

this one was the pic I've took some days ago with the same camera setup but just with a single frontal flash unit

is the new one a little better than the older one?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic