Wood tick

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Wood tick

Post by rjlittlefield »

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to visit Nature Conservancy's new Tieton River Canyon preserve on a guided members-only tour.

I have posted a couple of pictures from this trip before (here and here).

It's a lovely place, but hey, it has trees and brush, and with those come ticks! :D

Ticks around here are not considered very dangerous -- just annoying blood-sucking parasites, kind of like really slow, very tough, remarkably flat mosquitos. :roll: So mostly I just brush them off and get on with hiking. But this one struck me as photogenic, somehow, so I took the time to take a picture. Just one picture, because the group needed to move on, but it came out OK anyway.

From a technical standpoint, the interesting thing about this picture is that there's nothing much interesting -- just a compact point-and-shoot camera set to macro mode. Tick on left arm, camera held in right hand, half-press to focus and preview, full-press to take the picture. A slightly different angle would have been better, to get the tick's whole body in focus.

The lighting here is not as contrasty as in Mike Broderick's MP-E-65 higher magnification shot back in the old forums, but the two images make kind of an interesting comparison, to support a current discussion over in the Equipment forum.

--Rik

More technical: Canon SD700 IS, auto-everything. The jpeg file reports 1/200 sec at f/2.8. The inset is full frame. No sharpening or noise reduction.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Clearly, the only thing wrong with this forum is that we don't have enough tick shots! Rik, glad you are doing your part to correct this tragic deficiency!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

You can keep your ticks. I had one on me the other day..I did not take a picture of it (i did something else to it though :wink: ). We have to be careful because the ticks around here can carry Lyme disease. A great picture Rik.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

salden

Post by salden »

Ticks are the one insect that I refuse to allow to crawl on me on purpose... well at least when I see them, I usually do not take a photo and then bush it off..it is the other way around :lol:

Nice image of the annoying little thing.
Sue Alden

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Go away! :wink:

I do not love them ...
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Pretty neat shots there Rik. I used to log as an occupation for ten years while living in S.W. Arkansas and usually I would sprinkle Seven Dust on my pants legs or diesel fuel to ward off ticks and such. Then I found out about Avon "Skin So Soft!" It not only makes you smell nice around a bunch of burly loggers with chainsaws but it also keeps ticks off you too, though it does give those burly loggers something to question about you. :lol: Eventually I went back to diesel fuel. 8-[

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic