Ants on Discovery Science Channel Saturday at lunchtime

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Ants on Discovery Science Channel Saturday at lunchtime

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

In the USA, the Discovery Science Channel (cable or satellite) has a program on ants that I haven't seen before. It has some excellent footage of ants, including some amazing stuff of a European Brown Bear being driven off by ants when he went digging for the larvae and pupae in an ant colony! They have also interviewed Burt Holdobler (spell?), E.O. Wilson's collaborator.

It is on now (7 o'clock Central) in the USA, and will be repeated later tonight (I believe at 10 o'clock Central). Discovery Science often reruns programs over the weekend, so ant fans may want to check the schedules for it this weekend. :!:

Added later--According to my tv schedule, Discover Science iss showing this again at 11 Central time on Saturday.

http://www.asu.edu/news/stories/200510/ ... dobler.htm

The above link points to an article about the show. It apparently won some honors. I found some of the footage very good, including a visual demonstration of how ant scent trails change when they find food, the bear footage I mentioned, and an excavation showing the full extent of a gigantic ant colony. Ant-lovers should watch this!
Last edited by Mike B in OKlahoma on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

The program title was "Ants: Nature's Secret Power", and it is definitely worth watching. Some stuff I'd never seen before, and I am a connoisseur of ant programs!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Mike - the spelling is Bert(hold) Hölldobler.

Thanks for posting about the program. I think I haven´t seen this footage yet, and I now will watch out for it being broadcast in Europe.

Cheers,
Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic