First shot with Canon MP-E 65mm - Need Help and Advice

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mosura

First shot with Canon MP-E 65mm - Need Help and Advice

Post by Mosura »

Hi,

This is my first post here and also my first attempt with the Canon MP-E 65mm.

I know the lens is capable of much more and I would love some suggestions on how I can improve.

First up, here are the things that I feel could be improved on.

1. I used a Velbon Super Mag Slider on a Manfrotto tripod (141RC head) It's a bit wobbly where the Focus rail attaches to the tripod.

2. Wooden floor boards. Loads of vibrations. Next time I will set up on a concrete floor.

3. Terrible lighting. I've ordered a Yongnuo Ring Flash (all I can afford for now). This shot was taken with the 7D's on board flash and a couple of incandescent lamps.

4. Fly was found dead. (Probably dead for quite a while) It's a bit dusty. I tried cleaning it with a soft paint brush.

5. I'm also aware of the white patch at the bottom right corner due to rotating the image. I should have cloned that out.

Current setup :

Canon 7D with MP-E 65mm lens
Velbon Super Mag Slider
Mirror Lock up and 2 second timer.
Shutter release cable.
On board flash and two incandescent lamps.

Any comments on the above or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

Alan

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Hi Alan,

First, welcome aboard! :D Your image seems very good for a first attempt with a lens like the Canon MP-E 65mm. But agreed, you can—and surely will—get much better results out of this lens.

A few thoughts come to mind:
I’ve ordered a Yongnuo Ring Flash (all I can afford for now). This shot was taken with the 7D's on board flash and a couple of incandescent lamps.
Is it too late to cancel this order? If money is tight, you can’t afford to waste it. I’ll venture an opinion that may be controversial: Ring lights produce horrid light, and usually make for unsightly photographs. The specular highlights are circular and very unnatural-looking. Shadows, which are important to showing the shape of the subject, fall behind the subject, where they don’t belong. Results often look as if the photographer went out at night and viewed the subject with a flashlight, held much too near his eyes. Much better that you spend your money on an ordinary flash or two, and make diffusers for them.

I have a ring flash, and rarely use it. And I have it only because I borrowed it for testing from a friend who so heartily dislikes it that he has never permitted me to give it back.
On board flash and two incandescent lamps.
Mixing flash and incandescent lighting is a recipe for trouble. For one thing, you get different colors of light (the official term is “light temperature”). Also, to get significant contribution from the incandescent lighting, you need a slow shutter speed, which invites vibration problems.

I like your intent to move from a wooden floor to a concrete floor--a sound decision.
I used a Velbon Super Mag Slider on a Manfrotto tripod (141RC head) It's a bit wobbly where the Focus rail attaches to the tripod.
From this description, it’s hard to discern where the problem lies. But of course, anything wobbly is bad news. As you surely know, you want zero wobble. I have a Velbon slider like yours, and do not love it. It’s not a total disaster, but also not nearly the equal of much better (though also more expensive) things I prefer to use.
?
Was this a focus stack? If so, can you share details?
Fly was found dead. (Probably dead for quite a while) It's a bit dusty. I tried cleaning it with a soft paint brush.
I don’t do bugs—unlike many members of this forum. But I have a strong sense that most bugs found dead are likely to look as if they’ve been rode hard and put away wet. Perhaps a fresh bug for your next effort?
Mirror Lock up and 2 second timer.
Are you not using EFSC? If not, I’ll suggest you start doing so. This prevents the shutter curtain from jolting your camera and softening your image this is not a likely issue with flash exposure--but for combined flash and continuous light, it is.

All this said, a solid start!

Cheers,

--Chris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'll second Chris's welcome. Welcome! :D

Also his evaluation. Yes, it's a long-dead fly so it's not very attractive. But from a technical standpoint the image is very good for a first attempt.
Chris S. wrote:Are you not using EFSC? If not, I’ll suggest you start doing so. This prevents the shutter curtain from jolting your camera and softening your image this is not a likely issue with flash exposure--but for combined flash and continuous light, it is.
A correction here... Canon EFSC is not compatible with flash. If you try, then either you get EFSC and no flash trigger (with unrecognized external flashes), or you do get flash trigger but only after dropping out of Live View mode which prevents EFSC and causes even more vibration because of two mirror and shutter movements instead of just one.

Combined with the concern about mixing color temperatures, you really have two very different options: 1) shoot with flash alone and trust that the short effective exposure time will freeze out whatever vibration there might be, or 2) shoot with incandescent alone, in which case be sure to use EFSC to avoid shutter-induced vibrations.

About the ring flash, I'll second Chris's opinion there too. I did buy one, a long time ago, and it's one of the few pieces of equipment I ever sent back.

If low cost is critical, then I recommend experimenting with DIY "snoots" and diffusers to route the light from your on-board flash to where you'd like to have it.

Next up from there would be to add one or two external flashes which can be as inexpensive as Yongnuo Yn460, triggered either by their built-in slave from the camera's on-board flash, or more conveniently by radio triggers such as Yongnuo RF-603 II C1.

--Rik

Mosura

Post by Mosura »

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions Chris and Rik.

Yes it was focus stacked. I have no idea how many increments I needed. I ended up with 62 shots in there.

Regards the wobbly tripod head, I things it's the quick release plate that is wobbly. I was thinking of mounting the Focus Rail directly onto a heavy block of wood.

The on board flash was pretty useless on it's own. I had set ISO up around 800 and shutter speed around 1/4 second and that with the two lamps. Would making one of those snoot/diffuser things get more light onto to the subject?

I actually didn't know about EFSC.

Oh... and apologies for the mangy looking specimen. I was desperate to have a go and it's all I had :-)
Alan

pontop

Post by pontop »

For easy control of manual flash have a look at Yongnuo YN560III and the YN560TX trigger. It allows you to set up several groups of flashes and adjust the power on the trigger. I find that very convenient.

/Bo

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Check out a couple of DIY snoot/diffuser ideas for built-in flash here:

(about halfway down page)
http://beingmark.com/2010/08/04/macro-n ... lustrated/

http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... d-now.html

Mosura

Post by Mosura »

Thank you Bo and Charles.

I'm looking into your suggestions and links.

Cheers

Alan
Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic