Fossil Foraminifera in Herault (Alveolina) Limestone

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Fossil Foraminifera in Herault (Alveolina) Limestone

Post by Cactusdave »

The general quality of the images of living freshwater and marine organisms on this site is amazing, in fact for some images, I have simply run out of superlatives. So for a change I thought I'd show some images of marine life that is dead, very dead, in fact fossilised. I recently acquired a slide with a label that said section of Alveolina limestone, Herault, France. The maker's name, J. How and address in London, places its manufacture to the 1880s. The section is simply glued to the slide, probably with Canada Balsam and has been produced by grinding. There is no coverslip. The section contains abundant Foraminifera fossils in matrix and is named after the most abundant species present, Alveolina. The limestone was laid down in the Eocene epoch, roughly, 35-40 million years ago. I am no expert at naming the fossils, but using this reference (in French) http://planet-terre.ens-lyon.fr/image-d ... -10-13.xml , I can hopefully recognise some of the forams. present.

The section was examined with coaxial incident polarised light using an Ortholux 1 with Ultropak incident light attachment and X6.5 Ultropak objective. The photoeyepiece was a Leitz Vario-Orthomat zoom http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 294c#51190 . The camera was a Sony NEX 5N afocally coupled via a T-mount and a reversing ring to the filter mount of a Minolta 45mm prime lens attached to the camera with a Minolta to Sony E-mount adapter. This setup gives minimal vignetting (< 10%) at the lowest zoom settings on the Vario-Orthomat of X5 and X6.3 which disappears at X8. Maximum zoom is X12.5.

For comparison transmitted polarised light +/- retarder images were taken on a Nikon Diaphot with a Leitz X2.5 planachromat objective. A Canon 5D mkII was attached to the front SLR port which employs a built in X2.5 relay lens.

Alveolina, incident polarised light, field width approximately 2mm

Same specimen with polarised transmitted light and a retarder.

Alveolina (top), miliolid foram. underneath, part of an Orbitolites at the bottom.

Similar area in transmitted polarised light plus retarder. Crop from a five image stitch.

Opertorbitolites incident polarised light.

Opertorbitolites, transmitted polarised light.

More images to follow.
Last edited by Cactusdave on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Really interesting set. Loads of species names I've literally never heard of - ever.

Quite a striking difference (improvement) with transmitted polarised and retarder too. What does the retarder add in this situation? Contrast?

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Awesome !! Many many thanks thanks for sharing !!

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Beatsy and Carlos.

Beatsy, the role of polarisation is a bit different between the incident and transmitted light situations. For incident light it is pretty much essential in a situation like this. Without polarising the incident light there is excessive reflection and glare from the mineral surface. I think wetting the surface might help further with this, but the surface is very absorbent and I was concerned about damaging this very old slide.
With the transmitted light situation, polarised light gives better contrast and detail than non polarised light in my system. Putting a retarder in as well is a matter of choice really. it maybe helps a little with contrast, but in some of these images it does pick up some colour from other minerals in the section, which, in a pretty monochrome/yellowish sample, gives a bit of additional interest.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

As promised, a few more pictures.

Orbitolites, polarised incident light.

Orbitolites, polarised transmitted light with a retarder. Cropped from a 27 image stitch.

Not sure if this pair are Alveolina in TS or someting else. Transmitted polarised light with retarder. HDR image produced from 6 individual images using Fusion free version.

A couple of stitched transmitted polarised light images with retarder which give a better overview of the section, showing just how packed it is with fossils.

Crop from a 27 image image.

Alternative crop.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

very interesting

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Fascinating images, David!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Graham. It was interesting to try to find ways to photograph this section successfully. Ultimately, transmitted light gave good and informative images, but it was revealing to compare them with what was visible on the surface of the section with reflected light. I have recently been looking at some thin sections of bones from the Lower Permian amphibian Eryops, again comparing transmitted and incident light. Very different, but sort of complementary views are produced.

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Very interesting images ! The second and the last one are my favourite. The watching organisms which were living millons years ago before the man became one of the Earth inhabitants is always very exciting. Thank you for sharing.

Marek
Last edited by Marek Mis on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Marek. I really should post some of my images of fossil bone sections. Some of the dinosaur (Iguanodon) sections show remarkable preservation of recognisable bone structure

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

A different and fascinating subject. Nicely done!

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Very interesting set!

Rogelio

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Charles and Rogelio. It certainly makes a change to see the fossil remains of a bunch of protozoa that are long, long dead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic