Cicada shell in sagebrush steppe country

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Cicada shell in sagebrush steppe country

Post by rjlittlefield »

Things like this are common farther east, in the lands of sultry summers.

But around here, with 7 inches total annual precipitation, they're not so frequently seen.

Again, this one is the first that I have found. (I've lived here over 25 years, by the way. But maybe I'm spending more time out in the bushes now.)

It was hanging in another dry weed, just up the trail from the Becker's White chrysalis.

--Rik

Technical: Canon SD700 IS, auto-everything, The jpegs report f/5.6 at 1/320 and f/2.8 at 1/800. (This camera's rules are a bit mysterious, and there aren't any modes that give very good control.) Backgrounds blurred to improve bokeh and noise.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well you may not have much control over the camera Rik but you are getting some darn good results from it. As they say, its not the camera but the person behind it that makes the image. :wink:

twebster

Post by twebster »

Right now the cicadas are singing up a storm in the cottonwoods and sycamore trees in Arizona. I just love that sound. Just about every cottonwood tree or sycamore tree trunk is covered with these shed skins. You'd love it, Rik! :)
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

twebster wrote:Right now the cicadas are singing up a storm in the cottonwoods and sycamore trees in Arizona.
Ah, yes! I had forgotten about Arizona cicadas.

Quite a trick to do that, actually, considering my first experience with them.

I was driving a rental car, just touring the countryside, beautiful day, having a great time.

All of a sudden the car started making this screaming sound, like it was losing its transmission and brakes at the same time. :shock:

I immediately stopped to see what was the matter.

Of course you know what the matter was -- the car was fine, I had just driven under a grove of cottonwoods filled with cicadas. #-o

You're right -- I would love it! :D

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:Well you may not have much control over the camera Rik but you are getting some darn good results from it. As they say, its not the camera but the person behind it that makes the image.
Thanks for the compliment. I think of me and the camera as a collaboration. :wink:

But seriously, I don't think that I will ever take my DSLR hiking again. The added value is just not worth the added weight and clumsiness. These compact digitals are coming along very nicely. :shock: :D

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I like the perfect lighting on the first skin...brings out every nook and cranny & hair on the shell :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic