My LED based setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daemonoropsis

My LED based setup

Post by daemonoropsis »

Last edited by daemonoropsis on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks for posting this, very nice setup!

Do you have any issues with the LED lamps giving even illumination on the subject? And, how did you attach the LEDS to the ARCA mounts (these look like the Ikea LED lamps I have, that have a clamp on the opposite end)? I assume you drilled a hole in the mount and bolted the LED base onto the mounts.

Cheers,

Mike

frankw

Post by frankw »

Thanks very much daemonoropsis!
This looks even better than the original, simpler and cleaner. Very elegant.
Do you run any kind of diffusion on the LEDs?

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

mawyatt wrote:Thanks for posting this, very nice setup!

Do you have any issues with the LED lamps giving even illumination on the subject? And, how did you attach the LEDS to the ARCA mounts (these look like the Ikea LED lamps I have, that have a clamp on the opposite end)? I assume you drilled a hole in the mount and bolted the LED base onto the mounts.

Cheers,

Mike
The way I mounted the LEDs are kind of overkill, I used 2 of these: http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/product-p/m1-400.htm where I slid the two poles under the LEDs through the slit in the middle. I then cut up some gaffer tape to increase the thickness until it matched the thickness of the original Jansjø mount. Ill see if I cant take a picture off it this evening as it´s a bit hard to explain.

I did it this way because I had everything I needed inhouse already. If I was doing it from scratch I would probably just drill a few holes in a piece of wood in the appropriate thickness and attach that to the board.
frankw wrote:Thanks very much daemonoropsis!
This looks even better than the original, simpler and cleaner. Very elegant.
Do you run any kind of diffusion on the LEDs?
Yeah, simplicity rules. I will probably end up doing something simpler for the LED mounts at some point to clean up the board even more.

I have a piece of rolled up frost gel I bought from a discount bin at a local pro photo store. It was a leftover piece so I dont know the make/product number but I suspect rolled up tracing paper would be pretty much identical.

I have been designing hoods for my microscope objectives that can be 3d printed and all matches the same also 3d printed diffuser. So far it has not made it out of AutoCAD. Right now I cant afford to make any 3d printed prototypes but at some point I will get around to getting them printed.

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks daemonoropsis.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic