Time Flies When You're Having Fun

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

Post by svalley »

It has been months since I last logged on. A lot of great images and discussions have been posted since then and I don't know if I will ever catch up. My time has been sucked up producing images for a screening aid to the Scolytids (bark beetles) of eastern North America. Closeups of antennae clubs, elytra declivity spines, or pitting on the pronotum, etc., for hundreds of species, are photographically uninspiring. It is challenging to capture some of the subtle differences between related species, but after spending 10 hours a day capturing and enhancing images it hard to spend more time sitting front of a computer!

Anyway, I just want to say hi, and keep up the good work. I will try and stay a little more active.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hi Steve, we miss you and your photos. Gee, I thought you had a dream job :lol: :wink: Thanks for stopping by and saying "Hi"

Take care,
Doug
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Nice to hear from you Steve, hope you find time to post again sometime soon.

Bruce :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Welcome back, Steve. I've often thought that a way to cut the enjoyment of something you really love is to make it your job and have to deal with deadlines and cost-trimming and doing assignments even when you don't feel like it! I hope you find time to photograph something for fun and show it to us here.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

svalley

Post by svalley »

Thanks Guys! I guess I should clarify what I said earlier. I really do love my job and I get a great sense of accomplishment from it. Images for the kind of projects I have been working on lately do not have the kind of artistic or scientific content that most people who visit here are looking for. Their scientific value only really become apparent when they are viewed in the context of an illustrated key that leads the user to a positive identification of their specimens. It is exciting to be using cutting edge stacking technology for practicle purposes even if I don't get to do it just for fun all the time.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic