NEW Mitutoyo FS50 set up in progress..

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

NEW Mitutoyo FS50 set up in progress..

Post by seta666 »

Hello,

Few weeks ago I was asking for advice on a microscope, but lack of advice and an ebay oportunity made me buy a Mitutoyo FS50 with lenses

The set up is in progress but the microscope is a solid beast indeed. So far I fixed it to one of my wooden set ups with sorbothane hemispheres but I would like to move to a more solid base in the future:

The whole set up:

200-400mm zoom tube lens and 1um Coarse/fine focus

M42 tubes and a 16mm helicoid M42-NEX to get the camera parfocal with the eyepieces; it is loose enough to allow rotation but not so loose for it to fall

My actual 5 axis base consisting of 2 Velmex A25 unislides with 2" travel, a 360º stage and a couple of goriometers

- I would like to add something like a Velmex unislide between the scope and the wooden stand so I can change the parfocal of the system and use other infinity lenses, like the nikon CFIs

- I also want to add a proper microscope base so I can take pictures of microscope slides using brightfield, darkfield and polarized light (maybe and amscope, Olympus CH2, etc...) any suggestions wellcome

- What could make a better support for the scope? Something like an aluminium post on a granite base? Any ideas?

Regards
Javier

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

First of all, congratulations on your purchase. I believe you are going to get plenty of satisfaction from this microscope.

It is similar to my FS-60, except this FS-50 does not have a beam splitter and axial illumination (which gives a very "flat" rendering of three-dimensional subjects, so I don't think you are going to miss it). The zoom is useful up to about 1.5x, but diffraction becomes visible on small sensors above 1.5x.

You have probably seen the stage my FS-60 came with ( http://savazzi.net/photography/mitutoyo_fs-60.htm ). Something similar can be built with thick aluminium stock. An alternative is a cylindrical steel column, which may make it easier to adjust the working distance in large increments. Stainless steel columns in standard sizes (25 mm dia. is a useful one) are available as rails for servo mechanisms and can be adapted for this purpose. Matching aluminium clamps are also available and make it easier to build stages and the like.
--ES

abpho

Post by abpho »

All those Mitutoyo lenses sure do look impressive. :D
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic