Which Mitutoyo 10X LWD objective to buy? (Edmund's has two)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ckatosmith

Which Mitutoyo 10X LWD objective to buy? (Edmund's has two)

Post by ckatosmith »

I have been saving up for what I thought was 'the' Mitutoyo 10x objective, but now that I am ready to order, I see that EdmundOptics has two listed and I am not astute enough to see which would be 'better' for me. They both seem to have the same specs except where noted below:

A) 10X Mitutoyo Plan Apo Infinity-Corrected Long WD Objective
stock # 46-144 currently listed at $865

Depth of Focus 3.5 micrometers, weight 240g

B) 10X EO M Plan Apo Long Working Distance Infinity-Corrected
stock # 59-877 currently listed at $795

Depth of Focus 3.6 micrometers, weight 250g

I wasn't sure if the way FOV info was listed meant there was a true difference or not.

I plan to use this both on my Nikon D800E (with proper 'attachments')
and if it makes a difference, if one of these could be fitted to my Nikon Eclipse E200 microscope a great plus, but I will purchase anyway even if for only work on a dSLR body via proper 'attachments'.

Does one have higher image quality than the other?

Thanks for any elucidation as to the differences and which is best for me.

Carolina

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The Edmund 10X is a Mitutoyo "work-alike" -- same specifications but from a different manufacturer and with different optics. I have never seen a direct head-to-head comparison of performance. The Edmund objectives bear a striking resemblance to Motic objectives as shown in the downloadable catalog linked from Motic's website. (When comparing appearance, note that the picture on Edmund's page for their 10X #59-877 is actually a 59875, the 2X objective.) I have seen one head-to-head comparison of Motic versus Mitutoyo, HERE, which concludes the Mitutoyo is somewhat better.

For the less than 9% difference in prices of these lenses, I would go with the Mitutoyo which is known to be very good.

BTW, the difference in listed Depth of Focus is probably either a rounding issue or a simple typo. For well corrected lenses, DOF depends only on NA, which is quoted as being the same. The difference in the way FOV is listed looks arbitrary.

--Rik

ckatosmith

Post by ckatosmith »

Thank you for your (quick) reply. Although I kept wondering what 'EO' stood for, in my excitement (after saving up for this), it didn't occur to me that EO stood for Edmund Optics, so that it wasn't even a Mitutoyo objective, doh...

Thanks for pointing that out and the other information. I have ordered the Mitutoyo brand!

thomasf

Post by thomasf »

Hi guys,there is another choice for whom with little budget, APO from Shibuya, http://www.shibuya-opt.co.jp/eng/o_lens.html

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Their very long WD objectives with built-in illumination are intriguing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic