Nikon Plan 10X 0.25 160/- ... bought one ...

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

GemBro

Nikon Plan 10X 0.25 160/- ... bought one ...

Post by GemBro »

After talking to the guys on here I have bitten the bullet and gone for a "decent" Objective ... a Nikon Plan 10X 0.25 160/- ... it's coming from USA and currently at Kentucky Customs Documentation and Labeling ...

USA seemed to be the only place that had them for a decent price ... the one I went for in the end was one Ab Pho suggested (thanks mate) and is in 'Excellent' condition (£88 inc postage/shipping) ... I did ask the seller if the lens had any problems and he said "This lens is flawless. Guaranteed." ... so that reassured me a bit ...

This Infinity lens needs a 'tube lens' to correct it I believe? ... and will not work using just a 'tube' itself ... have I got that right? ...

The results will be down to the 'tube lens' quality, obviously but I may have to invest in a more decent DSLR lens if I'm going to (maybe) get a few more Infinities ... at least I will use the lens for standard photography, so that will not go to waste ...

I've heard you can use Enlarger lenses as a 'tube lens' with great results ... anyone used one in here? ...

I'm looking forward to comparing more than anything else, to see what 'I' can achieve with this lens ... this will make me ... or break me :D ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201190752509? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Last edited by GemBro on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Uh, that's a 160 tube length, says so right on the shell
I am not young enough to know everything.

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

hi Choronzon ...

Yes I know that :wink: ... I thought being as it's an infinity lens it needs a 'tube lens' (using glass) @ 160mm and not just a plain 'tube' (using Ext Rings)? ... which is what I was asking :D
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

You missed the point. It's not an infinity lens. The 160 bit of "160/-" means that it's a finite lens, intended for use on an empty tube that gives 150 mm from mounting shoulder to image plane. See the usual FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera? for more discussion.

I will of course be interested to hear why you thought it was infinite. I'm always interested to learn how thing go awry.

--Rik

abpho

Post by abpho »

Congratulations Gembro. As mentioned this is a finite lens. I can't wait to see some pictures. Rik's link to his write up is a perfect read. It refreshes my memory. I realized I used my 20x above it's rated magnification (used too much bellows extension), on a full frame camera no less, but the test image of lady beetle shell turned out really well.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

rjlittlefield wrote:You missed the point. It's not an infinity lens. The 160 bit of "160/-" means that it's a finite lens, intended for use on an empty tube that gives 150 mm from mounting shoulder to image plane.
Ahhhh d@mn it ... I got the symbols round the wrong way ... figure of 8 is Ininfity ... it was 3.30am and very late (still is) ... I'm using that as an excuse ... :lol: ...

Appolgies Choronzon, my mistake ... you were correct ... :wink:

Rik, thanks for correcting me ... having a read now ...

Me too Ab Pho :D ... yeah my Canon is 1.6x crop so that should fill it well ...

Gem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic