Salsify seeds and parachutes

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Salsify seeds and parachutes

Post by rjlittlefield »

Salsify is any one of several Tragopogon species, all of European origin but now naturalized in eastern Washington State.

The seed head looks like a giant dandelion, with individual achenes close to 1-1/2" long.

It was a good thing that I shot this one on the way up, while hiking this afternoon. The wind came up, and on the way down I passed an empty head!

--Rik
Technical: Canon SD700 IS, auto-everything. The .jpg file reports 1/200 sec, f/2.8, 5.8 mm. The first image is close to full-frame, the second one is about 80% of actual pixels (1036 pixels high, resized to 796 pixels).

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

So now you have something to remember it by, anyway!

I think I saw some of these while I was in the area last week, but I didn't recognize the difference from "standard" North American plants.

Glad you took your digicam on this hike, or do you wish you'd had a fancier (and presumably heavier) setup?
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike B in OKlahoma wrote:Glad you took your digicam on this hike, or do you wish you'd had a fancier (and presumably heavier) setup?
As an experiment, I've been carrying only the point-and-shoot for the last couple of weeks.

So far, I've been pretty pleased with it. The performance-to-weight ratio is fantastic!

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beautiful shots Rik. :D These things, the seed heads, are rarely considered to be worth ones while in taking photographs of it seems, well at least to my observations but I kind'a like them. You did good with these. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic