Help with Olympus VMZ microscope

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daveliberty

Help with Olympus VMZ microscope

Post by daveliberty »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but I hope someone can help me with a stereo zoom Microscope problem.
I am learning clock and watch repair and the Microscope is a vital tool. I have an Olympus VMZ microscope from the early 80’s.
If you look through the eyepieces you can see what looks like dirt/ contaminates that look like pepper.
The right side tube came apart easily including the dust cover and I was able to remove a lot of debris and clean the lenses.
I was able to disassemble the left side observation tube up to a point. First the knurled ring, by actually turning CCW it will unscrew. Next the barrel tube, the barrel tube actually unscrews the same way CCW.
Next, I will call it the barrel frame or socket.
Now the socket or barrel frame needs to come out in order to remove the dust cover. It does appear to have threads if you look at the inside of the barrel frame. But I don’t know if it is supposed to unscrew or not. I did not want to force anything.
Any advice would be helpful if someone has experience on how to remove this part. I don’t see any other way to get to the prism assembly/lenses to clean.
I have included some pictures of the microscope tubes.
Regards, DavidImage

phil m

Post by phil m »

Can't tell because the picture is a bit blurry but have you loosened off the set screws on the left side. Sometimes over years of use and vibration the set screws on one side come a little loose, allowing one ocular tube to unscrew easily , without backing off the locking set screws. It seems the other should do so as well but it doesn't because the locking screws need to be backed off.
I don't know this microscope that well but I am guessing that is the problem. Phil

daveliberty

VMZ Microscope

Post by daveliberty »

Hi Phil thank you for your interest. I have removed all set screws for the
Left Barrel. I believe the barrel socket (what I call), unscrews, but before I
Attempt this I wanted 2nd opinions. It appears to be threaded but I could damage if I am wrong. So far all my research has not uncovered on how to remove this part of the microscope. Thanks for your response.
Dave

phil m

Post by phil m »

Given that the left, diopter side has standard right hand threads, they may have had the savvy to use a left hand thread for the main barrel, so the barrel had no tendency to drift over time. Normally the set screws should look after that but with fairly stiff damping grease in the diopter threads, there could be some tugging at the main barrel as the diopter was turned. give it a tight grip with your hand only and give it a clockwise turn.

daveliberty

VMZ Microscope

Post by daveliberty »

Thanks you may have an interesting theory there. It very well could be a left hand thread. I did give it a tug CCW but no movement.
As a watch repairman there are left-hand threaded screws in the winding
Mechanism you have to be aware of. I will follow up on this and let you know what I find. Regards Dave

Inseewincesee

Post by Inseewincesee »

Have a look at this article on Olympus eyepiece dismantling / reassembly.

Not sure how different your eyepieces are, but I imagine since they come from the same company, a overall systematic construction would be true for something as simple as a eyepiece.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... piece.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic