Zeiss Axiostar Microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

benjamind2014

Zeiss Axiostar Microscope

Post by benjamind2014 »

Well, I saw one of these in person, and I think this is the best approach, even if it's not really portable.

I'm wondering if these have the slots in the condenser that allows you to insert slides with filters for Rheinberg and Darkfield/Oblique illumination?

If they do, I think that'll be my mainstay.

Is there any real difference between the Axiostar and the Axiostar Plus. I figured the trinocular head was the only real difference but I could be wrong. I only really want to use brightfield and darkfield, and I'm told I can indeed take photos through one of the binoculars.

Is it harder to take photos through the binoculars than through the trinocular? I thought it wouldn't be that difficult if you just removed the eyepiece from one and used that for the port. You could then focus for the "preview" on one binocular while taking pictures on the other.

I know the Axiostar is known for it's good quality, so I'd be pretty happy with one if I was able to get my hands on one that was working well.

75RR

Post by 75RR »

Found this when I was thinking of getting one and doing some research.
Very comprehensive article.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ostar.html

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Yep, it was a fantastic article.

And it's a superb microscope. Very good value for money. I think I'll be saving my pennies for one...even if it's a used one.

harisA

Post by harisA »

Axiostar is a good microscope,however if you plan to use it also for taking pictures i suggest you buy one with trinocular head.Zeiss infinity optics use a tube lens for projection and correction.Throught eyepiece you can only take pictures afocally which has a lot of limitations.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Well I managed to secure one. It's a binocular version. I will primarily be using it for practice and to get used to working with a microscope.

It's a fine microscope with not a whole lot of room for any major improvement. There are darkfield, Rheinberg, and various oblique filters that are fairly available.

Mine will come as is with 4x 10x 40x and 100x A Plan objectives. I am thinking of getting a 2x too maybe in the future.

The best part (or worst part depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist) is that it will all up cost less than $1000 with the extra purchases of the 3 sets of filters!

So I'm looking forward to some experimentation, some learning...some joy and maybe...some grief.

I can't take good pictures with the binocular version? I am told that the only major difference is convenience. It doesn't matter to me all that much as I can always upgrade later on if I really want to. And yes you can take photos without relying on afocal methods. The eyepiece tubes are fine for attaching a camera with an appropriate adapter and lens. Infinity objectives are a plus and I am glad I was able to find such a scope for this price at all. Really I was expecting to pay double what I did.

Hopefully it is all intact when it arrives and that everything works.

The moment of truth will be pretty soon. Let's hope it's a happy moment and not a sad one.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

harisA wrote:Throught eyepiece you can only take pictures afocally which has a lot of limitations.
BTW a trinocular head is much more convenient to make a microphotography setup, but afocal has nothing wrong: you just need a suitable eyepiece (present), a camera with an adequate lens (for exemple a 50mm 1.8 prime for APSC) and a stand, adapter or tripod to hold the camera at the right position in front of the eyepiece, not rocket science. Be aware that many classic Zeiss photoadapters for the Standard series and first Axio era where based in afocal despite being designed for the trinocular camera port (for exemple the MC 63 and MC 80 film cameras and the 0.25X 63mm SLR adapter), as well as some Leitz/Wild photoadapters and cameras from that time.
Pau

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

I think I'll be looking for a used Axiostar with a trinocular head. Apparently the one I purchased may or may not have a condenser with the slots for putting the various darkfield/oblique filters. This scares me. I asked someone who sells the filters and he said that there are actually 2 different condensers, one that has the slot...and the other that does not...

The sad part is that I asked about the condenser TWICE...yes, no kidding, twice...and have yet to hear from them. I asked before I purchased, asked a 2nd time after...aaaaaaand still no reply.

I'm not even sure I'm going to end up with the scope I thought I was going to be happy with.

This condenser that they talk about just cannot be found anywhere and if I do find one its going to be very expensive.

So I figured I'll just look for an Axiostar with a trinocular head that I know has the right condenser and just buy it, knowing that I will be sure to get what I really want.

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

In fact, it might just be good to have the two scopes. I then have two objectives of each and a second pair of eyepieces! :)

harisA

Post by harisA »

Pau wrote:
harisA wrote:Throught eyepiece you can only take pictures afocally which has a lot of limitations.
BTW a trinocular head is much more convenient to make a microphotography setup, but afocal has nothing wrong: you just need a suitable eyepiece (present), a camera with an adequate lens (for exemple a 50mm 1.8 prime for APSC) and a stand, adapter or tripod to hold the camera at the right position in front of the eyepiece, not rocket science. Be aware that many classic Zeiss photoadapters for the Standard series and first Axio era where based in afocal despite being designed for the trinocular camera port (for exemple the MC 63 and MC 80 film cameras and the 0.25X 63mm SLR adapter), as well as some Leitz/Wild photoadapters and cameras from that time.
I never say afocal is wrong.In my early years most of my images were afocal throught compact camera.I own a zeiss standard with trinocular head and MC63 camera.Althought it needs modification to adapt a dslr it is far more easy to take photos than afocal proccedure throught binocular head.That's why i suggest to Benjamind to go for a trino.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

harisA wrote:I never say afocal is wrong.In my early years most of my images were afocal throught compact camera.I own a zeiss standard with trinocular head and MC63 camera.Althought it needs modification to adapt a dslr it is far more easy to take photos than afocal proccedure throught binocular head.That's why i suggest to Benjamind to go for a trino.
So we mainly agree, just to insist that with a MC63 you do afocal (a 63mm lens over the eyepiece at the phototube)
Pau

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Well well well...

Looks like I have to cancel both eBay sales. What a shame LOL. I don't think either of these scopes have the condenser which has the slot where you insert a slide piece to allow you use various filters.

I asked one guy on there who sold filters but I just got all confused because I really didn't understand what he was referring to. He told me to relax but then I think I realised which seller it was even though I asked the filter seller to confirm that one more time so I was absolutely certain.

So I think I have to nuke both sales. I don't think it'll affect my eBay credibility. But this is a cautionary tale to anyone who buys microscopes on eBay to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that EVERY question you ask is answered IN FULL.

I did ask questions but just got confused by one of the scope sellers and the filter seller. Yesterday the answer was yes. This morning it appeared the answer was a solid no. Maybe I just didn't want to believe it. But thus far no conformation yet.

Yep I think I'm just gonna bail on this one.
The sad part is that it was only a matter of minutes of me purchasing the scope that I was informed that the condenser was not the right type.

Yeah, I know. What an idiot.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Detailed pictures of the condenser would answer the question much better: the filter slot if present must be clearly visible.
Pau

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

Pau wrote:Detailed pictures of the condenser would answer the question much better: the filter slot if present must be clearly visible.
Well I basically cancelled both purchases. To say the least I was pretty disappointed. What happened is I thought I saw a filter holder and the seller with the filters thought the same. But when the microscope seller sent pics of the condenser to the filter seller I was then informed that the condenser did not have an opening for the filter holder.

Anyway I'm going to forget the Axiostars for now and do some research into Zeiss Standards. At least they are relatively abundant and cheap but with good objectives they provide very good pictures.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

benjamind2014 wrote:Anyway I'm going to forget the Axiostars for now and do some research into Zeiss Standards. At least they are relatively abundant and cheap but with good objectives they provide very good pictures.
As you perhaps know I'm a Z. Standard user and I know reasonably well the system. There is not any good solution AFAIK to put push in filters like Reinberg in the condensers at least without doing a lot of surgery.
Pau

75RR

Post by 75RR »

I did ask questions but just got confused by one of the scope sellers and the filter seller
Ask for close-up photos of the condenser. Post them here if you have any doubts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic