phpBB broken ?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

canonian

phpBB broken ?

Post by canonian »

phpBB seems to make it impossible to use the mu (Alt-0181) symbol in the message body since a couple of days..??
Except when cutting & pasting the μ symbol from other sources e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28letter%29 ; or using & # 9 5 6 ; (without spaces) in the text.
As soon as you place an Alt-0181 in the message body the preview gets emptied.

canonian

Post by canonian »

μ still broken, a fresh post doesn't seem to affect it.

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Maybe it is an encoding issue between what the character is typed as and what the forum software accepts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding Since 956 and 181 is the code for the forum, I assume it uses unicode character set.

So on the positive side, you should be able to just look up the unicode character value and do "& # UNICODENUMBER ;" no quotes or spaces.

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

A quick test confirms my guess, switching the character encoding in safari from the default western encoding to unicode allows me to use opt+m to type µ(on mac). With western encoding typing a µ results in the message being cleared by the forum.

The textfields should be able to specify the encoding they accept. So it is a forum software issue that it is not specifying this.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'm having no trouble posting µ or μ . but Chris S. is, both unicodes. We've been communicating over it and finding that he CAN put them in private messages.
Weird!

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

ChrisR wrote:I'm having no trouble posting µ or μ . but Chris S. is, both unicodes. We've been communicating over it and finding that he CAN put them in private messages.
Weird!
What browser are you using, and do you know if it is the same as Chris S.'s browser? Browsers have a default encoding they use, and some will let you change it. Further still you can force most browsers to use a certain character set when submitting a form.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'm using Firefox 32.0.3 (not quite the latest :idea: ). Chris S has tried a variety.

canonian

Post by canonian »

I'm μsing Firefox 33 but I don't think it's a browser thing.
Ctrl-Alt-M and Alt-230 gives the same result: a blank preview.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I mostly use Maxthon Browser v3.4.5.2000, but am having the same problem with Firefox 33. Ditto with Firefox 33 on an entirely different computer.

As ChrisR said, I was easily and repeatedly able to type the mu symbol into a pm, but not into BRTech's thread (where the contents of my input box disappear). In the thread you are reading now, I've had two different behaviors when previewing a post. At first, if I typed a mu symbol and hit preview, the mu symbol previewed properly, while the symbol in the input box automatically changed into "(ampersand)#956;" (but with the ampersand character "&" in place of the word "ampersand"). After a few tries, this stopped happening, and the disappearing contents started recurring.

I've used the mu sign many times in the past, without either of the above behaviors. I haven't consciously changed anything on either computer that I've experienced this behavior on, although both receive regular automatic Windows 7 updates.

--Chris

abpho

Post by abpho »

On the iMac I just hit ALT (option) m = µ. Works every time.

I think you guys are having problems with windows. In the past when I was using Windows and I copied and pasted a specialty character it never pasted properly.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

abpho wrote:On the iMac I just hit ALT (option) m = µ. Works every time.

I think you guys are having problems with windows. In the past when I was using Windows and I copied and pasted a specialty character it never pasted properly.
Windows is not the problem. This problem is reproducible on OSX(I have already reproduced it on my iMac). The problem is the page is defaulting to ISO-8859 character encoding, and the forum software or database(I do not know much about the structure of phpbb) wants Unicode.

I have just got done testing in windows with Firefox and chrome. With western encoding the Mu symbol will not work when submitting a post. When the encoding is set to UTF-8, it submits fine in chrome, and almost fine in Firefox(Firefox's fault).

This problem should be easy to fix. I assume somebody changed a forum setting for encoding, or the database encoding.

Chris S., if you can try in Maxthon to set the encoding when you are posting to UTF-8 from Menu > Tools > Encoding that should fix the issue. This is only a temporary fix of course.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

TheLostVertex wrote:Chris S., if you can try in Maxthon to set the encoding when you are posting to UTF-8 from Menu > Tools > Encoding that should fix the issue. This is only a temporary fix of course.
Thanks for trying, Steven, but this didn't work for me.

If anyone else uses Maxthon and wants to try this, in my version it's Menu>Options>Advanced to get to where you set the encoding.

Cheers,

--Chris

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

My Firefox is set to Western encoding, not Unicode.
Chris S's experience makes it sound like inconsistent phpBB behaviour?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have no solid idea yet what the problem is. But I have another website at the same hosting service that developed some very different problems at the same time, in a completely different chunk of php code (phpBB versus dokuwiki). Neither site had any configuration or software changes at my level, so I'm thinking there was an update to the php engine that has had some interesting side effects. That's just speculation at this point, however.

--Rik

canonian

Post by canonian »

..Just a bold idea: could the underlaying DB be the cause of this?
Could MySQL (or whatever DB Engine is running PM.Net) be the cμlprit?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic