www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mike's Memorial Day Weekend
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mike's Memorial Day Weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Mike's Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

And a couple of days after, actually!

I was running around Eastern and Central Washington state. The area is noted for the aftereffects of colossal flooding between 10-15,000 years ago when a huge glacial lake repeatedly melted and flooded the countryside, which was already pretty heavily affected by vulcanism. I was fascinated by the after-effects!

This boulder (which later split in half) rode the flood encased in an iceberg till it settled down 100-plus miles from where it started. Huge thing now sitting in a farmer's field! Of course, the best part is the way the local high school kids have vandalized it! Rolling Eyes

Before the flooding, these polygonal basaltic columns formed as volcanic basalt cooled down. These are perhaps 12 inches or a little less (that's about 1/3 meter for you metric folks!) on a side. These are similar to the Giant's Causeway in Great Britain.

I found these basalt columns especially intriguing, and sought out a particular huge set:

These pentagonal columns are huge, about two feet on a side, and short enough that you can use them for a chair as Brad Pitt is doing here. The angle I could get with my camera on tripod (and self-timer) wasn't high enough to show the shape off as well as I'd like, alas. Oh wait, that isn't Brad Pitt, it is me! Understandable mistake! <heh heh>

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
salden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that was not Brad... Laughing
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Mike!

This is fascinating country.

For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods and its references, especially http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geoweb/participants/dutch/VTrips/Scablands0.HTM .

--Rik
MacroLuv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that car the most. Very Happy
Just kidding. Laughing
Great natural environment.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. Very Happy
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mike...where'd the 15,000 yr. old nice set of wheels wash up from...hmmm? Rolling Eyes

Yeah I knew all along that was not Brad Pitt. Brad would not be caught in those "loud" trousers! Laughing

Nice series of images there Mike, interesting. By the way those trousers are okay for out in the field, just kidding. Don't wear them to a dinner party though. Wink Very Happy
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
So Mike...where'd the 15,000 yr. old nice set of wheels wash up from...hmmm? Rolling Eyes

Yeah I knew all along that was not Brad Pitt. Brad would not be caught in those "loud" trousers! Laughing

Nice series of images there Mike, interesting. By the way those trousers are okay for out in the field, just kidding. Don't wear them to a dinner party though. Wink Very Happy

The wheels were entombed in the ice....Unlike the cheesy mockup you see on the tv show, this is Fred Flintstone's REAL car! :-)

Hey, those pants are Bass Pro's finest--They insist on putting that fakey too-small camoflage pattern on everything. Pretty good pants, other than the pattern, though.

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I just noticed...those rocks are covered in lichens. To bad you didn't shoot any or did you? Oh well, lichens are not really all that photogenic unless you happen across the brightly colored ones. Very Happy
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
You know I just noticed...those rocks are covered in lichens. To bad you didn't shoot any or did you? Oh well, lichens are not really all that photogenic unless you happen across the brightly colored ones. Very Happy

I didn't shoot any closeups of lichens, now that you mentioned it. Though I did consciously think to use them to add color to some of my basalt column shots. I was so intrigued by the columns that the lichens just paled in comparison. One of the negatives of shooting this stuff is that the rock is a rather dull color, and I tended to view the lichens as a way to jazz up the rock, rather than an end in themselves.

In Southwest Oklahoma, we have quite a bit of fairly colorful granite with interesting lichen on it that I ought to shoot in closeup more often. As it happens, my first attempt at macro was shooting some of this lichen with a 100-400 lens and a closeup diopter, and the focusing (or lack thereof, actually) was so awful it put me off trying macro again for literally a year....Maybe that's why I've avoided it since!

--Calvin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: