Up-date on new 3 axis controller and turntable by Cognisys

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Linden.g

Up-date on new 3 axis controller and turntable by Cognisys

Post by Linden.g »

I've just started testing a new Cognisys prototype 3 axis controller. This will be used in combination with turntables and rails for motion control. I did a quick test by creating a multi angle focus stack of popcorn which you can see here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13084997@N03/14963660609/
Last edited by Linden.g on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Here is the new touch screen interface.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Linden, thanks for posting on this. Even though your post is not receiving replies, rest assured that it is receiving interest.

I was aware that Cognisys had things like this in the works. Am delighted to have the chance to learn about them.

Cheers,

--Chris

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Thanks Chris

For most applications a single axis system is all that is needed. For those who would like to do more there are a number of applications.

1. 3 axis X-Y table and stacking
2. 2 axis, stacking with rotation
3. 2 axis pan and tilt head control for panoramas and 360 degree immersion viewing
4. 3 axis pan and tilt head control in combination with a long rail for full motion control with or without time-lapse.

I've tried 1 and 2 to date and I'm waiting for the nodal head and rail to try out 3 and 4. For motion control the system will enable you to chose start and end locations set in all axis and will then use interpolation between five extra internal reference points. This gives a smooth trajectory along what can be a complex path if needed.

Linden

canonian

Post by canonian »

Chris S. wrote:Even though your post is not receiving replies, rest assured that it is receiving interest.
Too amazed to reply....:shock:
So this is becoming a real -fully automated- option now?

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Hi Fred, the pan, tilt and rail system will be launched at PDN at the end of October. I'll try it out hopefully before then

Linden

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Just a quick up-date. I'm now exploring the use of two of the rotary macro turntables in combination with a Hejnar nodal rail set. The system allows you to measure a frame size, then pick to opposite corner of a scene then it automatically pans and tilts to collect the images for stitching. The system is here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13084997@N03/15528797701/

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Linden, how would you compare the system you're currently exploring with the Gigapan Epic Pro? Similar tool in this particular arrangement, but the Cognisys et al approach, being modular, allows the gear to be configured for a wider variety of tasks?

Cheers,

--Chris

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Hi chris

Yes, I think so. If you only want to do giga pixel pans the Gigapan is excellent. However, if you need a motion control system which can do scanning, panning and time-lapse with up to 3 axis this new system will give you that. I could be doing nodal pans one day, 360 degree video motion or time-lapse control with a long slider the next and then convert it to a two axis stack and rotate system. I have extra stepping motors so I can use the controller for moving my microscope stage as well. The other advantage is that the nodal rail breaks down and the Gigapan pro doesn't and is very bulky.

Linden

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

Blimey that looks cool Linden ... even though 'looking' a bit unstable ... and way out of my budget though ...

I suppose you could mount a StackShot on there for stacking ...

For now though I'm sticking to my Homebrew GIGA setup ... but ... you have now got me thinking of adding a 3rd axis for stacking ... hmmm ...

Gem
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, Linden.

In my landscape work, I sometimes do panoramas for perspective, and at other times, to capture extra pixels for big prints. So I've considered getting a Gigapan. It's a single-tasker, but its speed of set-up appeals to me, as I'm usually chasing rapidly-changing light, and often working in uncomfortable weather or in the dark.

The multi-tasking power of the new Cognisys units is also very appealing. Seems to me that set-up would take longer, but vastly more configurations would be possible. And of course, the folks at Cognisys are wonderful to work with. Plus, I'm continually impressed at how much value they offer for the price of their products. I've found this true of Chris Hejnar's offerings and customer service, as well.

Sigh. . .perhaps both product sets are in my future. (Wallet shudders in fear.)

Question: Does the prototype Cognisys controller you're working with have the capability of being daisy-chained with another controller or two, to handle even more axes? As I recall, this capability was being considered.

Cheers,

--Chris

jnowat

Post by jnowat »

Chris, when I first saw this was being offered, I immediately thought of your BratCam. Your setup with the BC is quite suited to what I'm after in the long haul, and having automation on the rotation as well as focal depth would be invaluable to both my time and pursuit. Would you say that this would suit the stage(s) on your BC? I imagine one control for the servo on the focus block, one on the rotation stage, and one for the vertical stage. I'm ultimately piecing together a 3D model, so insure you can imagine the implications of such a setup concerning time and precision.
Canon 6D
Thorlabs ITL200 tube
Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 2X & 5X
Stackshot 3X
One hell of a project

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Jnowat,

Let me point out that it's been some time since I spoke with the folks at Cognisys, and when last I did, the prototypes Linden is testing were more in the thinking stage than the testable stage. So I don't know the specifications of the Cognisys rotation components that Linden is testing. Nor do I know the specs of any linear translation components Cognisys may be intending to offer. I do know, from experience, that Cognisys is competent, customer-friendly, and fair in pricing. So in the absence of information, I'm inclined to be optimistic that their offerings will perform well and be affordable.

I share your sense that you could could build a robust Bratcam-like setup, but with automation in additional axes of movement, by integrating pending Cognisys components for subject rotation and vertical subject positioning.

For subject rotation, I'd recommend looking at whatever rotation stage Cognisys offers, instead of the Newport 481-A (item "Q") rotation stage that I use--as the micrometer drive in my stage only actuates a few degrees of the total rotation. (In my work, this rotation stage is wonderfully dampened for manual adjustment, even at a very precise level; I rarely resort to its micrometer drive--but it is still nice to have.)

Linear translation, such as you are discussing for vertical movement of the subject, may be a more open question. If the pending linear translation offerings from Cognisys fully suit your needs, your answer may be simple. But if not, there exist a great variety of translation stages that can be actuated by a stepping motor--and Cognisys controllers can drive many available stepping motors. So this component, you may or may not wish to source from Cognisys.
I imagine one control for the servo. . . .
Quick note--most of us doing this sort of work use stepping motors, rather than servo motors. Perhaps either sort of motor could serve. But so far, all my experience is with stepping motors.

Cheers,

--Chris

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Hi Chris

I don't have all the specs yet but the tables have excellent torque and the slider I saw can lift camera gear vertically. The nodal head sets up very quickly as long as you have pre-determined the lenses nodal point. You basically set the step angle by placing the same object at the right and left edges of the frame which allows the controller to calculate field of view. Then you aim the camera at opposite corners diagonally across the scene to set the pano field and then press go. The units can also be daisy chained.

Linden

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic