Nikon 50x ELWD vs 50x SWLD

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Clintonwake

Nikon 50x ELWD vs 50x SWLD

Post by Clintonwake »

Hi

Apart from the larger Working DIstance on the SLWD, which lens is sharper and resolve C/Abberations better , the Nikon CF Plan 50x /.55 ELWD EPI Infinity OR the CF Plan 50x/0.45 �/0 EPI SLWD as I am considering buying a 50x?

thanks
Denis

enricosavazzi

Re: Nikon 50x ELWD vs 50x SWLD

Post by enricosavazzi »

Clintonwake wrote:Hi

Apart from the larger Working DIstance on the SLWD, which lens is sharper and resolve C/Abberations better , the Nikon CF Plan 50x /.55 ELWD EPI Infinity OR the CF Plan 50x/0.45 �/0 EPI SLWD as I am considering buying a 50x?

thanks
Denis
I cannot say without comparing the two lenses, but an NA of 0.55 is bound to give significantly better resolution than 0.45 at this magnification. It also means that the DOF will be smaller and you will need more images when stacking.

The main advantage of the SLWD series over the ELWD is greater working distance, at the expense of somewhat worse image resolution.
--ES

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

thanks enrico

So the higher the NA the better?

I found a place that is selling Nikon L Plan 20x /0.35 EPI SLWD long working distance metallurgical for $10 :-). What do you think of these non CF lenses?

cheers
Denis

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Clintonwake wrote:thanks enrico

So the higher the NA the better?
For image resolution at a fine scale, yes. Not necessarily with respect to chromatic aberration or flat field, but high NA lenses are more expensive and usually designed for better performance also in these respects.
I found a place that is selling Nikon L Plan 20x /0.35 EPI SLWD long working distance metallurgical for $10 :-). What do you think of these non CF lenses?
Denis
I have no data on these, but the price is so low that it might be worth trying one. I don't know whether they are finite or infinite.
--ES

Clintonwake

Post by Clintonwake »

thanks enrico

You are correct , worth the try given the price

much appreciated
cheers
Denis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic