www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Earwig and grass hopper study study
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Earwig and grass hopper study study
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Earwig and grass hopper study study Reply with quote

Hi all

I have been converting my setup to run 100% on LEDs instead of flash and would like to share some of the first really succesful stacks. I did these to practice setting up the light at high magnifications. I'm pretty happy ith them my self.

10x mag stack
Earwig by Ectemnius, on Flickr

10x mag stack
The business end by Ectemnius, on Flickr

9x mag stack
Earwig claw by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x mag stack - this last one is a detail shot of the top side of the tail
Earwig tale detail shot by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x detail shot of the eye and base of the antenna on a grasshopper
Grasshopper detail by Ectemnius, on Flickr

20x detail shot of the tail of a grass hopper
Grasshopper detail by Ectemnius, on Flickr
JasonC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those are great!

http://plus.google.com/+JasonCanning/posts
www.flickr.com/photos/jasoncanning/
RichardF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images look great and you did a really good job on setting up your LEDs.

Can you show us your setup with the LED lights?

I myself also started with LEDs for studio stacking purposes and would like to know how far your LEDs are positioned away from your subject?
I use a metal ring on which i glued a led strip all around, but the position from the subject to the LEDs is around 10cm. Last weekend i have tried the metal ring for the first time to see what the changes were regarding to the IKEA led lights.

Looking at your images i am curious about the color temperature and lumen of the LEDs you have used. I still have to process the stack results from last weekend, but my guess is that i have to change less on the color temperature changes in post processing the image(s).

Did you use any kind of diffusing material ?

Regards,
Richard
daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardF wrote:
These images look great and you did a really good job on setting up your LEDs.

Can you show us your setup with the LED lights?

I myself also started with LEDs for studio stacking purposes and would like to know how far your LEDs are positioned away from your subject?
I use a metal ring on which i glued a led strip all around, but the position from the subject to the LEDs is around 10cm. Last weekend i have tried the metal ring for the first time to see what the changes were regarding to the IKEA led lights.

Looking at your images i am curious about the color temperature and lumen of the LEDs you have used. I still have to process the stack results from last weekend, but my guess is that i have to change less on the color temperature changes in post processing the image(s).

Did you use any kind of diffusing material ?

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didnt get an notification email.

I'm on vacation at a summer house without my setup but I will see if I can get a decent shot of the setup when I get home in a few weeks. But I basically just use Jansjö LEDs through a diffusion tube (lee frost filter). I wan't to be able to position my lights differently each time (I have a background in model photography, both human and architectural).

I have been shooting with a custom white balance set to 3200K but I will happily change this before converting my raw files. I cant remember where these ended up and I also work extensively with color changing adjustment layers in PS afterwards.

Morten
Cyclops

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous set! Has the earwig got mites on its pincers?
liuto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive series of images!
Rikisub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder you're happy with the results, they are amazing!
abpho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are excellent images. Well done.
daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all Smile

I have just returned from a week in sweden with no computer, internet access or phone access. Very therapeutic Smile

Here are three images of the setup as it stand right now:

daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For RichardF in reply to a PM

ckatosmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. I like the earwig 20x top side of the tail. I still stomp on them, though, and haven't yet the stomach to try photographing them...
abpho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I should call you Daemonoropsis or Ectemnius. Very Happy I just came from your flickr site. I just want to say that the velvet mite image is freaky. The eyes look so very human in that shot. I could not comment there so I am posting my reply here.

Good work.
daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abpho wrote:
Not sure if I should call you Daemonoropsis or Ectemnius. Very Happy I just came from your flickr site. I just want to say that the velvet mite image is freaky. The eyes look so very human in that shot. I could not comment there so I am posting my reply here.

Good work.

Hehe, yeah Daemonoropsis was taken on flickr so I had to come up with something else Smile

I just checked the settings an any user should be able to comment, weird. I have been wanting to do a new velvet mite as the original one was taken before I got my 20x so I pushed my 10x way beyond its limits which has made the original very soft.
GemBro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoropsis:
oh wow ... those shots are brilliant ... I've been in awe of your Flicker images but something was bugging me with most of them ... then it hit me ... they're all 'clean' ...

so that leads to a question: do you clean them in an ultrasonic bath? ... if not could you please spill the beans on how you prepare your specimens? ...

love the mites on the Earwigs pinchers ... also love the translucent effect (if it is that) ... the yellow hair effect (earwigs face) - are they caused by addtional (coloured) lighting? ...

Gem
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Optional Arduino based Stepper Focusing system (being built)
daemonoropsis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GemBro wrote:
daemonoropsis:
oh wow ... those shots are brilliant ... I've been in awe of your Flicker images but something was bugging me with most of them ... then it hit me ... they're all 'clean' ...

so that leads to a question: do you clean them in an ultrasonic bath? ... if not could you please spill the beans on how you prepare your specimens? ...

love the mites on the Earwigs pinchers ... also love the translucent effect (if it is that) ... the yellow hair effect (earwigs face) - are they caused by addtional (coloured) lighting? ...

Gem

Thanks Smile I dont do much cleaning before shooting, I will occasionally blow some air over the bug using the blower I use to clean my sensor. Most of my cleaning is done in post. here is ans example:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: