Hornet

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Hornet

Post by gpmatthews »

One of my wife's colleagues swatted this poor girl at work today, so ever the attentive wife, she brought it home for me:

Wild M8 Microscope
21 images/Helicon Focus

Wild M8 Microscope
28 images/Helicon Focus
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW :shock: Excellent work again Graham.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ron Neumeyer

Post by Ron Neumeyer »

Graham - outstanding pictures!!
Ron

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Beautiful Graham!

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Great shots, a pleasure to look at. Thanks for showing them, Graham.

"Poor girl" as you wrote, and I wanna add and stress that there really is no reason to swat a hornet on purpose. They are not dangerous as many people think and won´t attack unless you disturb their nest or heavily annoy them, e. g. by squeezing one accidentally.
They more behave like gentle giants among the vespines, will prefer to flee when they have the chance to and won´t annoy people at a picnic/coffee table unlike some of the smaller yellow jackets. Maybe your wife should tell this to her colleague. In Germany hornets are protected by law.

I would be interested to get to know how you took these fine shots through the M8. What camera did you use and how was it attached? Did you shoot through the eyepiece or use the Wild photo tube?

Cheerio,
Betty

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Betty, I agree with your comments on hornets - unfortunately many people regard all insects (with the possible exception of butterflies) as "creepy-crawlies and will kill them on sight. In our household we prefer to show them an open window (unless required for photography, of course), which also suits my wife's Thai Buddhist background.

The setup was a home made camera adapter mounted on one eyepiece of the M8. You can see the same adapter mounted on my Zeiss GFL at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... .php?t=414 Unfortunately, I do not have a trinocular head for the Wild M8. The adapter is a push fit onto the eyepiece of the M8. The camera was a 5 megapixel Canon Powershot S50. This camera was bought with photomicrography in mind because it has a small physical lens size suitable for use at the exit pupil of a microscope eyepiece, but unlike many other point & shoot style cameras has pretty much full control over all functions in the manner of an SLR. The camera was controlled remotely from a laptop running Breeze Systems PS Remote software for the Canon Powershot series. I find this superior to the Canon Zoombrowser software in remote mode. The laptop is part of my wireless network, so the images are saved remotely to my main desktop machine for further processing etc.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic