An Exaltation of Moths - NY Times article

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DQE

An Exaltation of Moths - NY Times article

Post by DQE »

A nice article on moths and moth collecting/studies. It motivated me to complete my long-standing ambition to study moths in more depth and breadth...

An Exaltation of Moths, Much-Maligned Kin of the Butterfly

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/nyreg ... odayspaper

============================================

An excerpt:

National Moth Week, which runs through Sunday, was begun a few years ago by two naturalists in East Brunswick, N.J. It has since spread worldwide, aided by social media, with events like Moth Blitzes and Moth Balls registered this week in all 50 states and 42 countries.

Dave Moskowitz, one of the founders, began organizing moth nights in East Brunswick a decade ago with some like-minded residents. “We were blown away because we’d get 30, 40, 60 people showing up, lots of people who had never thought about moths,” he said.

In 2012, Moth Week’s first official year, “we had participants from 30 countries and 49 states, everywhere but North Dakota,” Mr. Moskowitz said. “I was thinking about flying up there and doing a moth night myself.”
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

jswatts

Post by jswatts »

Thanks for sharing this!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic